EFE tooling

jjb1970

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if this has already been answered (and I'd be happy to be directed) but does anyone know how it works when EFE uses tooling previously used by other manufacturers please?

I realise how this could go off the rails, but I'm genuinely not trying to open a can of worms and appreciate that ultimately it's a matter for the companies involved. However, I do find it interesting.

Do the factories retain rights to tooling, or do the original users sell it on, or sell permission to use it?

It doesn't really matter to me as a consumer, I'm just curious as EFE Rail seem to be putting tooling to good use after original users of that tooling move on to new things.

• Like 1

I believe that each new model is a bit different to the others. But each model will be produced with permission of the original tool-owner, who would no doubt also profit from the arrangement.

I suspect that it’s simply a business agreement between two companies to supply new versions of previous toolings under the EFE brand or to occasionally produce new projects like the N gauge 17 which was resurrected from the end of DJ Models

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• AY Mod locked this topic