DCC EZ 5 amp Booster

Engineer143125

I have several sets of lit Hornby and Bachmann Pullman’s on a dcc Sound layout, I have recently started to use an AS Deltic and 8 Mk1 Pullman’s, every time there is a short the red overload comes on and won’t reset other than if I remove all of the Pullmans which is an obvious pain. Does anyone have a similar experience, do these boosters ware out as it’s about 7 years old. (Phoned Bachmann who couldn’t help) 

Unlikely that a booster ‘wears out’ however it is likely that you are drawing too much current for the unit.

if you remove other locos or lit carriages from the layout you may find that the new ones don’t cause the short. This is also proof that you are simply drawing too much current for the unit to supply.

It would take some doing to exceed 5 A with a few stationary (when powering up) locos and lit carriages.

I am guessing the lit carriages have capacitors to prevent them flickering, but don't have current limit resistors to prevent a large inrush current when power is applied. I seem to recall the Hornby Pullmans were notorious for this when they were first released.

Edited by Crosland

The Hornby Pullman’s are 12 wheel Bournemouth Belles probably about 10 years old. Does anyone know if newer ones are different electrics? I was thinking of getting a Coronation set with lights but wonder if lights are more trouble than they’re worth? They do look good though.