RMweb

Size comparison

EasternO

Hi,

I cant compare as I do not have any Code 100 rail and even if I did it would be difficult to see in a photo given the relative size.

There are lots of possitive reasons to join the society, it has a unique place in our hobby.

Here are some photos of the rail I bought a couple of years back through the society store.

unnamed (40).jpg

unnamed (39).jpg

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Strack.jpg.c1dc1a507421d59e50b1ff3c0afaa736.jpg

The track at the top is a test length I have made from the S Scale Society's new track system of plastic chairs and laser cut sleepers. Underneath as a typical length of Code 100  16.5mm gauge flexi track (not Peco).

Whilst I would recommend joining the society you can build S Scale track without joining the society or using their track. The photo below shows Code 100 rail soldered onto 4mm scale copperclad sleeper strip and gauged with home made roller gauges. For this German outline layout I needed flat bottomed rail rather than bull headed rail.

IMG_7920.jpg.1b023cd0a80d103c7ae61aca437abef5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

If you are modelling the Victorian era then another way of building S scale track is to use 4mm products from suppliers like C&L and Exactoscale.  The smaller rail size reflects the lighter rail section of those times.  The current S scale bullhead rail is scaled from the twentieth century  rail which was larger in section to carry the increased weight of locos and rolling stock.   I know of at least one member who built his SECR (if I remember correctly) layout using 4mm rail components.

Jim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your input, very interesting information.

On 18/02/2023 at 20:17, SGF said:

As it looks like you're trying to find the ideal size to model in,  go along to the Ally Pally show in March where you'll see two S Scale layouts on display, and your search will be over!

Yes I am looking at different scales to start railway modelling. I looked at 7mm scale and bought a couple kits to build, which I have started, but looking at the space I have available 7mm is possibly a stretch too far. I know that 4mm is going to be too small for what I need so I've been looking at what is available between 4mm and 7mm. Only S scale exists in that space.

I happen to have another hobby modelling in 28mm scale (or 1:56) so while I've been looking at what scale to model my railway in, the answer really has been staring me in the face all along. I may as well choose 28mm where I can easily combine them if I want to. My only real stumbling block is finding appropriate rail as I can't draw it myself, but as I will model the Edwardian era I could possibly use S rail and get away with it. That's where I'm at currently.

I think you'll find that 28mm figures are nearer to 1/64 than 1/56 unless your men are all about 5' tall. 

As to rail, until 1922 the standard main line rail was about 85lb/yd which was 5-15/32" high or code 85 in S.  The British standards quote rail heights from 4-1/2" to 6-1/4" high, so finding something on the market should not be too difficult.  I think that if you're going to invent a new scale, then rail will be the least of your problems.  What will you do about wheels?  Everything you want will have to be scratchbuilt with no aid from anyone else.

• Thanks 1

28mm is a pretty loose term and accounts for a range of ratios. I model to 1:56.

I do a bit of machining anyway, so producing a limited range of wheels isn't as big of a problem as producing a draw tool and profiling rail. That requires a machine I don't have and would be too expensive for me to buy for only one specific task.

Making wheels in contrast is much simpler. Casting a centre and fixing a turned tyre is reasonably simple and I've done something similar previously.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1