Rail cars

andy brad

I have been reading about GWR Rail cars Running from Newport and Monmouth so I can one day model the Monmouth to Tintern line. here is no 23 at Tintern. I found the stuff on the web very interesting. I bought a Hornby one years ago which was boxed when home I inspected the contents and found it to be  Lima but I believe Hornby bought the tooling when Lima went into receivership  any more information would be appreciated Andy

Untitled 2.png

• Like 3

Hornby did indeed buy Lima and Rivarossi. IIRC Rivarossi bought Lima when they went bust (or maybe it was the other way round*) so Hornby got them both in one go.

*It was a fair time ago. They had both priced themselves out of the market.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

I lived in Llandogo in 1970 for six months or so, next little halt along the line towards Monmouth.

The line was of course long gone, although Quarry traffic south of the station lingered a lot longer, but the decaying remains of the wooden platform were still there though I imagine they've completely disintegrated by now.  I've posted before somewhere about Tintern Station, the tunnel and the Wireworks branch.  The railcar would be sufficient for regular traffic in low season (except schools?), but would not have capacity for the number of passengers at summer weekends.  Tintern used to be a popular destination for excursions from various places such as Bristol and the Midlands, sometimes so many in a day that they had to run the ECS on to make room for the next as there wasn't much standage.

• Like 1