Early 1970s Preservation/BR idea for layout

Hobby

Well it's time to make a start! I've got a load of Hornby points, some R2s to add to the R3s that came with the set and 10 yards of Peco flexi track.

The proposed layout is extremely loosely based on Garstang Town station, making an assumption that the line survived long enough to be jointly run by a preservation group and still with a BR pickup goods train.

I've got the 08 on order and the Brit and 9f when they come along, also I hope a Black 5. For the pick up goods I plan to use the 25 that's been promised by another manufacturer. A few more Mk 1s and some Staniers will sort out the preservation's passenger coach requirements.

The picture shows the rough layout of the plan. The boards are Grainge and Hodder, three 900x500 and three 900x250 for the fiddle yard. They were destined for an H0e layout that never got built.

20230215_150632.jpg

Edited by Hobby
Spelling
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/02/2023 at 15:18, Hobby said:

Well it's time to make a start! I've got a load of Hornby points, some R2s to add to the R3s that came with the set and 10 yards of Peco flexi track.

The proposed layout is extremely loosely based on Garstang Town station, making an assumption that the line survived long enough to be jointly run by a preservation group and still with a BR pickup goods train.

I've got the 08 on order and the Brit and 9f when they come along, also I hope a Black 5. For the pick up goods I plan to use the 25 that's been promised by another manufacturer. A few more Mk 1s and some Staniers will sort out the preservation's passenger coach requirements.

The picture shows the rough layout of the plan. The boards are Grainge and Hodder, three 900x500 and three 900x250 for the fiddle yard. They were destined for an H0e layout that never got built.

20230215_150632.jpg

That makes yours about a foot longer than I've got for Bregstadt. Curves R2 or R3?  I've gone with a mix on the ends so I can throw a right on entering the fiddle yard followed by a left at each end- this has the advantage that the straight route is the second from the back and the first two roads are the same length.   I also used a radius 6 curve where the end turn gets to the front so that when the line appears from the tunnel/bridge I'm using to hide the exit it doesn't seem to be turning so sharply.  It does, however mean I don't get the luxury of sidings between the running line and the board edge.

I envy you the extra bit of length, but I'm limited to two boards to get the layout into the car to go to exhibitions.  I'll watch this one with interest ready to nick ideas.  Keep up the good work. Even at this early stage it already looks much better than the mass of trainsets that are appearing

Les

Edited by Les1952
grammar
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Les1952 said:

That makes yours about a foot longer than I've got for Bregstadt. Curves R2 or R3?  I've gone with a mix on the ends so I can throw a right on entering the fiddle yard followed by a left at each end- this has the advantage that the straight route is the second from the back and the first two roads are the same length.   I also used a radius 6 curve where the end turn gets to the front so that when the line appears from the tunnel/bridge I'm using to hide the exit it doesn't seem to be turning so sharply

Great Minds think alike! R3 on the front section and the rest are R2! I've also used the R6 curve as you have done, though I only have one so the other end will be flexi or an R3 cut to fit.

• 2 months later...

Rather a long gap, holidays, retirement and exhibitions getting in the way! I wasn't especially comfortable with the original plan, the idea was fine, early 70s preservation with British and German stock and a bit of BR but it just didn't feel right. So after some thought I've decided on this track plan, half a double track circuit with centre platform station kept from the old plan but more conventional storage lines which will hold a complete train (in my case a Pacific and three coaches), kick back for storing the railcar and small engine shed. the single line bit with have the "imprint" of a second track so if i do want to go to a double track all round I can. A bit of a "train set" type layout but I hope with scenics, etc., it will look less so, sort of middle station on a preserved line which is also their main station, hence the sidings and loco shed...

wo6bbqH.jpg

oxrYo3L.jpg

• Like 7

• 5 months later...

Further changes, I've made it into a double track oval, though the sidings at the front have stayed the same. Track laid and ModelTech ProTrack Rail Aligners fitted, I'm quite impressed with them. I've also bought a load of buildings from Modelux and InTheGreenwoodLaser.

ZNe8xoR.jpg

Edited by Hobby
spelling
  • Like 8

• 3 months later...

How is the layout progressing?

Will the layout feature the bridge on the A6 by the Lancaster canal? Only asking as I have had a couple of cars airbourne over that bridge! (A classic mini and a skoda octavia estate taxi, if anyone is interested?)

It would have been cool if someone had preserved the line. Though Knott End golf club wouldn't exist now if it had been preserved. The golf club, club house is built on the site of the station.

There is an 0-6-0 saddle tank plinthed in Pilling in the livery of the Garstang and Knott End Railway. The line was originally worked by Manning Wardle tanks, I'm led to believe. One of the tanks was called "Farmers Friend", which had a squealing whistle, which led to the loco, then the line, being known as the Pilling Pig.

• Friendly/supportive 1

It's had all it's track laid and the baseboard joiners put in, I'm now in the process of wiring it up. It's developed a bit since the OP, I found I couldn't get what i wanted (a rough copy of Garstang Town) in the space I had so it's much simplified. If you look at the photo, on the right will be an island platform (I have the bits to make it!), just to the left will be storage sidings in full view with a small loco deptor at the top, then there will be a road with terrace houses and a small factory in half relief with a backscene and fiddle yard behind. At present locos are by necessity LNER and Continental but the Duchess and coaches are on order. Unlike the knockers on the Hornby TT120 thread I'm patient and will await suitable locos and may even buy some Lincoln models ones when I can figure what chassis I want (I'd really like a 25 and Jubilee).

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

how is this going, i started a layout but my baseboard is just too heavy for my needs so its time to pull it down and create something else, i need a really light baseboard, thinking insolation board and frame it

I'm starting to wire it but other things keep getting in the way! The boards ate Grainge and Hodder and very light, so light in fact that I went out and bought some 6mm Beech Ply for another layout!