1958 Western Region Travelling Post Office Train Formation

Wummyock

Asking on behalf of a friend who doesn't frequent these boards (or any others to be honest), he is currently in the process of building a large layout based in 1958 Western Region Devon on the mainline from Exeter to Plymouth (he was going to do Newton Abbott until he realised the size of it was a bit too much to try and fit in).

He has a query around the TPO train, having searched everywhere he can think of he is trying to find out what the formation was of a Western Region TPO was in 1958? He believes they ran in fixed rakes so is keen to model as close to the real thing as is possible.

Many thanks in advance for any answers regarding his query.

Your friend might find xpress publishing - Operation Torbay and Operation Cornwall by W S Becket helpful. These give timetables and formations for 1957.

The 22.10 Paddington - Penzance is quoted as Siphon G : Stowage Brake : Stowage Van : TPO (843 or 844 or 845) : TPO (806 or 807 or 808) : TPO (846 or 847 or 835) Full Brake : Siphon G.

(1 Siphon G detached Bristol : 2 detached Exeter)  

I have two books by Peter Johnson : Mail by Rail and The British Travelling Post Office.  These cover the whole country, largely duplicate one another and don't list the formations.  Not much use to you I suspect, though they are well illustrated.  They list various services giving their start and end dates, eg the GW TPO, the Bristol TPO (Bristol-Plymouth) and various early arrangements. 

However it does say the first BR standard coaches went to the GW TPO in 1959 (following complaints in 1946 of excessive speed and rough riding between Truro and Newton Abbot giving the sorters a buffetting, so the BR stock is presumably just too late for your friend.  The Great Western cars were then transferred away for further use, some to the London Midland Region, some to the Southern (as reserves for ex-SR stock), others to the North Eastern Region.

GWR built three basic styles - clerestory until 1903, elliptical roof 68/70 foot stock until 1910, and steel panelled stock, mostly 57' vehicles from 1927 to 1947.  Ten vehicles were 50', four 63', and three 46' 6".  On Ocean Mails from Plymouth the GWR slipped a postal car at Bedminster for working to Bristol.

I have a feeling that I may have some other book on TPOs somewhere but can't immediately put my hands on it.