RMweb

Lima Class 37 running issues

Hi,

I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I have a Lima Class 37 which has a stiff driving bogie, to the extent that it derails on curves. I have medium to large radius points, and my plain track has curves no sharper than 48", more like 60". Can anyone suggest a remedy?

Alan

• RMweb Premium

A common problem, the hole in the chassis that the motor bogie sits in was made just slightly too tight.

Remove body, flex chassis to take the motor bogie out, run a sharp scalpel around the curved end edges of the hole to scrape some off, test fit the motor bogie back in the hole.

Also check for moulding flash on the ends of the motor bogie moulding itself where it meets the edge of the hole and scrape/sand even as necessary.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

A common problem, the hole in the chassis that the motor bogie sits in was made just slightly too tight.

Remove body, flex chassis to take the motor bogie out, run a sharp scalpel around the curved end edges of the hole to scrape some off, test fit the motor bogie back in the hole.

Also check for moulding flash on the ends of the motor bogie moulding itself where it meets the edge of the hole and scrape/sand even as necessary.

Thanks John, that seems to have done the trick, just been running it through the station throat where it was jumping off the rails and it behaved itself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yep, a common problem, I had a few like that. I chose the opposite solution of running a file over the front and rear lugs on the bogie instead, but it had the same effect. 

To remove the bogie, I'd suggest using a screwdriver to remove the side frames which are held on with two small screws underneath, which allows the motor part to lift out easily, rather than flex the chassis and risk breaking it. Just don't lose the screws!

• Agree 1