Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

When friends go...

roythebus1

A bit of a different post, I was invited to visit a late friend's daughter today to have a look through about 7 boxes of his model railway equipment. Pandora's box threw up some interesting stuff.

Recent stuff was a box of Lima and Jouef Mk3 coaches and a Hornby "limited edition" class 47 "The Queen Mother", boxed. A couple of older Triang Mk1 coaches.

Plenty of part-made kits, plastic LNER quad-art sets, at least 4 sets, some other odd coach kits, CCW wooden Pullman unmade, some wooden-bodied coaches, a couple of Peco wonderful Wagons, Airfix Railbus, some Hornby Dublo tinplate wagons, some mint in boxes, Hornby Dublo plastic based point brand new in box, HD 0-6-2T in bits, more wooden coach kits.

Some interesting Maerklin 4000 series 4-wheel coaches new in boxes, an internet search show these to not be worth very much, about a fiver each! A mystery Maerklin Bo-Bo electric loco, repainted and missing sideframes, picture to follow.

Whitemetal kits include a Ks Gresley P4 part-built, possibly missing a tender sideframe, another P4 from another maker, can't remember who, a Ks LNER 4-4-2T brand new in bubble wrap, a couple of other cast metal locos, and the surprise find, a Kitmaster Beyer-Garrett! Part-made, but all the bits seem to be there. I've got no idea what one of those may be worth, but I'll post a pic of that later. another rare item is an ABSwain BR suburban coach kit, unbuilt. This is one I gave him years ago to build for the MRC's layout. None of those I gave out were ever built which is a shame. Anyone interested in any of these send me a pm before they go on an internet auction site.

Sad times to be disposing of such interesting stuff in these circumstances

If you find a taker for the Kitmaster Garrett and they want a spares kit for it refer them to me - I have a built one thats about 95% complete (purchased in that state) and intend to dispose of it, would rather it goes to someone who'll make something useful of it.

• Like 1

Whitemetal kits include a Ks Gresley P4 part-built, possibly missing a tender sideframe

If you or the new owner when you move it on require side frames for what I think you mean is the P2 kit I have a pair left over from my kit which I fitted the tender top on a Hornby chassis giving my more pickup’s for lest cost than buying wheel sets for the tender !

• 1 month later...

Well, my late friend Ian "Rainbow" Wood has been laid to rest, his ashes will end up at the Talylynn Railway in their memorial garden in the next month or so. Sadly due to work commitments I couldn't get to his cremation service a couple of weeks ago, but last night went to collect his railway collection from his daughter.

There's 7 boxes of "stuff" to sort through and what I'll do is photograph what's there and if anyone is interested in any items contact me by PM. Anything left will go to the internet auction site or the Model Railway Club's Shop.

Edited by roythebus1

Having had an afternoon to sort through the 7 boxes of "stuff", probably the most valuable item in there is the Triang 2-car SR EMU, good condition in boxes, after cleaning runs well. It has original mk2 couplings; a part-built Kitmaster Beyer-Garrett, part-built Ks LNER 2-8-2 complete; Millholme A2/3 unbuilt, an LNER 4-4-2T part built, a LNER 2-6-4T unbuilt; there's quite a nice etched brass LNER full brake, can't make out what make it is; a couple of plastic quad-arts part-built and unpainted, a wooden quad art set, maybe CCW, and a couple of othe rCCW kits unbuilt including a Pullman car.

There's a few Kitmaster French and German coaches in varying condition, 5 Airfix interfrigo wagons part-built, an Airfix railbus part built and some early Maerklin tinplate coaches mint in boxes that are probably worth all of a fiver each! 

Hornby Dublo, a brand new in box right hand point-2 rail possibly with solenoid motor, some HD tinplate and plastic wagons, and the usual collection of odds and sods. when my phone battery has re-charged I'll take some pics and post them here tomorrow. Contact me if there's anything anyone is interested in.

Hornby Dublo 2 rail track had the same cover for the point operating mechanism. The difference is the solenoid - given away by the extra set of terminals. They all had a switch incorporated for the track electrification, (Simplec excluded of course). Dublo 2 rail used lots of wire....

MIB Märklin coaches should be worth more than a fiver. Beat up examples usually sell for that!

The Maerklin 4 wheel coaches are mint condition in mint boxes. there's only one set of terminals on the Simplec point, I couldn't remember if they were for the solenoid or the frog switching.

Another interesting item is a pair of what appears to be pressed cardboard coach sides. They are panelled with ventilators over the windows, possibly made from papier mache. No idea what they are suppoed to be. I must make time to photo this lot!

I don't know, I've never seen anything like them before. Photos to follow. 

Here's a few photos for starters.. Ratio coach kit box and instructions; selection of tinplate wagons and HD 0-6-2T bodies, plus what I suspect is a Gaiety body. there's a couple of HD chassis, motors working but wheels missing and a box of chassis bits including coupling rods and crank pins. Last pic is inside the suspected Gaiety body.

4AFA737A-35AA-48C3-967B-73E0A3DABFE6_1_201_a.jpeg

2206D0BB-4097-4A48-B5D7-75B1A81EF577_1_201_a.jpeg

8E988FFD-E4BD-4367-8878-5F4324D7E9A2_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by roythebus1

that coach box...  Webster Developments Co of Quickley Lane, Chorleywood - is about 1km from  my front door if it still exists. I could cycle over and have a look....

N2 is a Gaiety. JVM of Birmingham was the casting partner of Castle Art Products who sold the range

Edited by Captain Slough

AFAIK there were 3 N2 castings :-

The Dublo one - several variants,

Gaiety - as above - sometimes/usually with 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' and '46917' embossed,

(The same number (with BR(M) 4xxxx added) as the Dublo LMS version - suggesting a copy - it is the commonest pre-nationalisation version of the Dublo model in my experience*.)

Trackmaster/Tri-ang/Kirdon  - with keyhole.

The first two are the same (underscale) size. The Trackmaster is a bit larger - all are allegedly 00!

*LMS black 6917 (sans serif), LNER green 9596, GWR 6699, SR green 2594, LMS black 6917 (serif), LNER black 9596. (In my experience, not based on numbers sold.)

Edited by Il Grifone

• 1 month later...

My JVM N2's have the the wrong wheel configuration, although the splashers are right, does anyone know why please? The chassis have not been turned round because there is a shaft/ bar from the 'cylinder' to the leading driver wheel.

20230615_220700.jpg