How to add LED diodes to Control Panel

Richy59

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

I am making up a DC control panel for my hidden section, and I managed to get it working as intended as per the diagram attached. So far it's just as is, but will adding to it as I go. This was just initially to get my head around it all. The points on the diagram are joined, I just couldn't connect them on MS paint 😅

I'm using an RK Education Toggle Switch Unit out of ease, and attached is their CDU which is connected to the power supply. I have wired it up as per diagram and it works, but I am looking to add LED indication for the routes. Both points throw correctly when I use a toggle switch, allowing trains to cross over tracks. Using Peco PL-11 above board motors.

Can anybody advise me with this diagram how I wire up the LEDs? The tails of the LEDs are the pink lines. I have resistors to fit as well, but I can't get my head around how to do it especially with this RK toggle switch unit. The diagrams I have seen online show connecting the LEDs back to the common return, would that be my green wire on this set up?

If anybody can help, thanks a lot!

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Richy59

Basically you need to add some switches to the points to switch the LEDs on and off as the points are operated and a separate power supply for them.  Don't  forget to add resistors in line with each LED to limit the current. (Unless they come with built in resistors)   Some point motors have inbuilt switches.  You may want to use microswitches operated by the point throwbar.

Edited by smokebox
More typing!
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I knew it wouldn't be as simple as fitting them in line with the wiring I already have 😅 More switches 😅

Having a quick look at microswitches, would they need to be something that makes physical contact with the throwbar? So mounted either side of the point and then the throwbar would make contact with the switch depending on which way the point is thrown?

Thanks