RAF Leuchars

I was not sure where to put this but decided here is probably best.

This wiĺl be a slow burn project built alongside my 00 scale Glasgow Queen Street layout, so updates will be occasional as (slow) progress is made.

I like to have more than one project on the go and I like to work in different scales at the same time.

So I have gone for this!

A representation of the railway system at RAF Leuchars in 0 gauge.

Here is my first bash at a plan. I suspect I may tinker with it yet.

Cheers

David

20230301_214346.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

OK, I love this. There aren't enough layouts with airfields in them, as far as I'm concerned, and Leuchars is an interesting prototype - should give you plenty of opportunities to model unusual loads and locos with surprising visitors (depending on era). It sounds like you'll be busy but I'd very much like to see how this develops, so please follow up if you get chance.

EDIT: just curious, I think there's a Judith Edge kit of the North British BR 2/1, and it might even be one of the kits available in 7mm - were you planning to build one of those? If so, I'd love to see the result.

Edited by JamFjord

I have been looking through the Judith Edge kits for inspiration. I hope to have one of each of the last two pairs of locos that worked the line. The NBL 0-4-0 and the R&H 0-6-0. That said I am not averse to having some that never worked the line. I like the idea of the Dick Kerr battery locomotive which worked at Guardbridge and lasted into the seventies, just for something different. 

Cheers

David

• Like 1

Yes thanks I have that book. It has good photos of the front of the shed which I used when I made my drawing.Also last month's Back Track has a good article.

I noted the surviving loco in Fife. There is also an ex  Leuchars loco in Kent.

I have been up in the loft looking through the pile of models. I have been buying model trains for over 40 years and there is all sorts of things up there in all sorts of scales some of which I have forgotten about. I have never sold any of it!

I found a Bachmann Brassworks 04 which I must have bought 20 years ago. I shall repaint in RAF livery and name Motray Water. (Taking after the river name theme of the final two pairs of locomotives at Leuchars).The MOD did not have an 04, (there was one 03). I also have a Dapol 08 in BR blue which I will renumber to  a Dundee West allocated loco and run it on the pretext of being a substitute for a failed loco. It did happen in the fifties when a couple of Y9's did perform the role for a brief time.

I have a  Hatton' s warwell and two VEA vans (used for munitions)and I have ordered a Wickham Trolley which I will repaint in MOD livery.

None strictly prototypical but it is a start!

Also it has been a bit like Christmas this week with the arrival of kits for the Phantom, the Wessex helicopter and an F3 Tornado plus a Unimog truck. Lots to do!

Cheers

David

• Like 2

Great to see another military railway on here  and your lucky to have the 30th length available to construct this in O gauge.

You might have enough references but it may be worth joining thr Military Railway Study Group

https://www.mrsg.org.uk/

at the moment their web-site is under development, with member access to the archive, but membership gives you access to a wide range of information about military railways.

I will  be following this one with interest as I am currently building a WW2 based railway, including a similar scene and have been tempted to match O gauge with 1:48 scale kits especially when the Dapol J94 becomes available.

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, MyRule1 said:

You might have enough references but it may be worth joining thr Military Railway Study Group

https://www.mrsg.org.uk/

at the moment their web-site is under development, with member access to the archive, but membership gives you access to a wide range of information about military railways.

Thanks for that link. I took a quick look and I shall certainly be joining.

Cheers

David

1 hour ago, David jennings said:

Hi David

I suspect you’re already aware, but Facebook there’s an Industrial Locomotives Enthusiasts Group, and last two days been posts and colour pics of  North British and Ruston & Hornsby shunters at RAF Leuchars? 

regards

Dave 

Good pictures, and not seen before , thanks

• 1 month later...

This is the basis of the next locomotive for Leuchars.

It is a Bachmann Brassworks 04 which I must have bought about 20 years ago.

I fitted it with sound back then and it has a pick up connection to a conflat wagon which I fitted pick ups to.

Just needs to be repainted!

Cheers

David

20230419_095405.jpg

20230419_095446.jpg

20230419_095547.jpg

20230419_095638.jpg

• Like 4

It will be quite a while before I construct baseboards for Leuchars. However I can make a couple of smaller modules to be installed later. At the moment I am laying out components to see that the plan I drew is workable. This is the fuel delivery area, item 6 on the original plan. It fits fine in the two feet I have pencilled in for it. On the layout it will be viewed from the other side.

The second pair of photos is the fuel storage area at the other end of the layout. Item 9 on the plan. The blue tape marks the edge of the board. No showstoppers or major dimension issues so far!

Cheers

David

20230506_113207.jpg

20230506_113259.jpg

20230506_120648.jpg

20230506_120735.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Tornado F3 now you have my interest, I fitted a lot of test equipment for their radars at Leuchars and visited the station many times. Never saw the railway in use, but the buildings I worked in have no windows.

I shall follow this thread with interest.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...