RMweb

Painting coal sacks

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

50 shades of grey in the early 1980's round here......

r82-052.JPG.b8aa4dbcc5abea0bbf40ce2fd6c87ff2.JPG

Looks like an electric vehicle.  Very eco friendly.

Incidentally, I am looking for a "proper" coal sack (full size) for display with a set of coal scales.  Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find one?  It's not the kind of thing which is routinely sold on eBay.

Keith

Alton.

18 minutes ago, 45655 said:

Looks like an electric vehicle.  Very eco friendly.

Incidentally, I am looking for a "proper" coal sack (full size) for display with a set of coal scales.  Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find one?  It's not the kind of thing which is routinely sold on eBay.

Keith

Alton.

It's a 1951 Morrison Electricar 3 Tonner and the sister to this one, which is preserved........

DSCF7246.JPG.0cbac5af9e62d8ad61361e654d058fa1.JPG

There are a few coal sacks on the back of that vehicle (filled with drinks cans with some real coal on top!) as part of the display.   Next time I see any of the team who have just restored the vehicle, I'll ask them where they sourced them from.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

It's a 1951 Morrison Electricar 3 Tonner and the sister to this one, which is preserved........

There are a few coal sacks on the back of that vehicle (filled with drinks cans with some real coal on top!) as part of the display.   Next time I see any of the team who have just restored the vehicle, I'll ask them where they sourced them from.

Thank you - most helpful.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

50 shades of grey in the early 1980's round here......

r82-052.JPG.b8aa4dbcc5abea0bbf40ce2fd6c87ff2.JPG

I seem to recall that "light grey" is actually a silver colour. Could be wrong, I'm trying to remember back to the early 70's.

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

I seem to recall that "light grey" is actually a silver colour. Could be wrong, I'm trying to remember back to the early 70's.

I think it was originally silver - a satin shade rather than matt - but the coal dust impregnation over time eventually changed it to various hues of grey down to more or less matt black.

A bit more variation with some more pristine looking sacks.....

r81-758.JPG.bfa1d8e2953b1e3967c661a4cbac60dd.JPG

r83-272.JPG.c205a01623b26d97fc162dfc3032b23f.JPG

• Like 1

They are good photos but just go to show that not mentioning a period makes answering so difficult. I would suggest that the silver ones are a more modern material - possibly a plastic. The car behind would suggest this is at least from the 1980s, possibly later. The others on the lorry are more the hessian used for many years, and I would use black smoke paint to reproduce them, with a gloss to the coal showing on top. 

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree that the lighter coloured bags are likely to be modern polypropylene and the black ones are the earlier hessian sacks, which I remember well from coal deliveries to my parents' house in the '60s and '70s.  If they weren't black when they started they were soon impregnated with coal dust!

Keith

Alton.

• Agree 1

Merit (Now part of the Peco empire), do coal sacks. They are a bit long but wire cutters with solve that!

It depends on the period (they are now probably plastic) rather than sackcloth, but scruffy grey/black is about right.

Somehow this missed being posted earlier - probably my fault

14 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

They are good photos but just go to show that not mentioning a period makes answering so difficult. I would suggest that the silver ones are a more modern material - possibly a plastic. The car behind would suggest this is at least from the 1980s, possibly later. The others on the lorry are more the hessian used for many years, and I would use black smoke paint to reproduce them, with a gloss to the coal showing on top. 

Paul

The BMC lorry was photographed in late 1981, the Smiths electric in 1983.

• Thanks 1