Shire Scenes GWR Siphon C kit

I am finishing a Shire Scenes Siphon C kit. In the kit instructions and on the GWR modelling website the model is shown with 3 gas lamp tops on the roof centered with each door. However a diagram from the Slinn book on GWR siphons shows these with only 2 gas lamp tops. Unfortunately the Slinn book is going for $167 in paper back which is more than I am interested in paying, so I hope someone reading this post has a copy or can answer my question. Were there multiple diagrams showing 2 and 3 lamp tops, or did the GWR add a third lamp at some point?  Here is  copy of the diagram in question.

4CF59FD7-E2C9-4325-81E2-C2DE8322BFAB.jpeg

Edited by Cofga

i have the slinden book, and it only says "Incandescent gas lighting , with roof pipes, was fitted from new to those om Lots 1133 and 1162 and to the remainder in 8/09.

The only picture i can find showing the roof is on page 34 of Wild Swan Publications book of the Calne Branch by Colin G Maggs . it shows only 2 lamps. 

Nice kit, must finish mine one day, been part built for at least 10 years, just needs the roof painting ,fitting, and lettering applying!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I am given to understand that a revised/updated/completely new volume on Siphons will be available later this year from a excellent publisher of good repute. It may well be expensive, but should retail at less than a three figure sum (dollars or pounds).

• Informative/Useful 1

On 07/03/2023 at 14:30, Miss Prism said:

There were two diagrams for the Siphon C: the 8'-wide O8 and the 8'6"-wide O9. I haven't got my reference books handy at the moment, but it is likely the differences in the lamp tops are because of the different diagrams.

Yes, if you read the fine print at the bottom of the scan it says that the drawing shown is diagram 0.8 and there is a second 0.9 with minor differences described in the text. I suspect the gas tops are among those minor differences.

By the way this is a nice kit that goes together quote easily. Be aware that the lamp irons mentioned in the instructions are actually not included in the etchings but I was able to make them using the flat etched hand grabs with just a couple of bends. The most tedious part is installing all those small etched details. I broke the job up by installing small batches over a couple pf days which avoided the eye strain. I got the body painted yesterday bit still need to sort out the roof issues before I can  complete the model. I’ll post a photo when I get a chance. Thanks all—Larry

• RMweb Gold

I went off the diagram in the book rather than the instructions and put 2 lamp tops on mine. I was thinking that perhaps they had misconstrued the destination board brackets as lamp tops on the kit instructions. There's no mention in the book of any differences in them wrt to the lighting. Also given the kit is 32mm wide, that puts it in the O8 camp to me and thus matching the diagram in Slinn et all.

6 hours ago, Cofga said:

By the way this is a nice kit that goes together quote easily. Be aware that the lamp irons mentioned in the instructions are actually not included in the etchings

In the version I had, end door details (catches at the top and some other door brackets) are missing too.

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

I went off the diagram in the book rather than the instructions and put 2 lamp tops on mine. I was thinking that perhaps they had misconstrued the destination board brackets as lamp tops on the kit instructions. There's no mention in the book of any differences in them wrt to the lighting. Also given the kit is 32mm wide, that puts it in the O8 camp to me and thus matching the diagram in Slinn et all.

In the version I had, end door details (catches at the top and some other door brackets) are missing too.

I replaced the vertical end door bolts with brass wire and noted the lack of any latching mechanism but did not attempt my own. I may rig up the gas piping on the roof however without a photo or diagram to follow it will likely be off if I go with the 2 lamp tops. It would also be nice had they included the destination board brackets you mentioned. I guess I really need to find someone with the diagram who will scan the diagram of the roof. I have seared all over the internet and cannot find any photos of the actual prototypes. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry, there is no elevation of the roof in the book, just the side and end. There's a few pictures but the roof detail is either obscured or later in life when the lamps had been removed. Since I'm modelling mid-late 1930s, I probably shouldn't even have had them on! I skipped any piping due to lack of info on it.