Kernow D600 Warship running problems and solutions

zoomer1979

Hi all,

A tale to tell that started with a Christmas present for my Dad from me of a Kernow D600 Warship. One of the latest batch, which is significant, as they have used a coreless motor.

After receiving his present he decided that the sound chip he likes the best is Roads and Rails. Chip arrived and fitted but running is now poor with a stuttering start and low top speed. The model was sent to R&R to see what he could do, it came back with more speed but still a stuttering start. Model Rail Scotland last month we decided to ask @charliepettyif he could find a fix. He was doubtful, explaining coreless motors are terrible for controlling. Without any further possibilities and having built up my knowledge of the Loksound V5 I decided that reducing the frequency of the PWM and picking a nominal value for the EMF. feedback value might produce a better running model. It worked. So along with other CV values learned from other setups here are CV values that work for the loco in question:

CV2-1 CV3-60 CV4-60 CV5-205 CV9-15 CV49-17 CV51-10 CV52-0 CV53-100 CV54-28 CV55-240 CV56-30

Hope this helps anyone who is having similar problems with either the D600 Warship or the Loksound V5.

Neil.

Edited by zoomer1979
Requested privacy from business owner
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Coreless motors are not a problem for control - I've been using them with DCC control for over 15 years.   The problem is finding suitable settings, and some people's prejudice against anything a little different. 
There are a few models around which are mechanically poor, which happen to also include a coreless motor - the problem is the mechanical design, not the motor.  

In ESU's home market of Germany, there are dozens of RTR models with coreless motors, its not a "new thing".  So, suitable settings are possible.  

( No comment on the range of settings you tried - if it works for your model, you have a result ). 

- Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zoomer1979 said:

Hi all,

A tale to tell that started with a Christmas present for my Dad from me of a Kernow D600 Warship. One of the latest batch, which is significant, as they have used a coreless motor.

After receiving his present he decided that the sound chip he likes the best is Roads and Rails by Richard Croft. Chip arrived and fitted but running is now poor with a stuttering start and low top speed. The model was sent to Richard to see what he could do, but it came back with more speed but still a stuttering start. Model Rail Scotland last month we decided to ask @charliepettyif he could find a fix. He was doubtful, explaining coreless motors are terrible for controlling. Without any further possibilities and having built up my knowledge of the Loksound V5 I decided that reducing the frequency of the PWM and picking a nominal value for the EMF. feedback value might produce a better running model. It worked. So along with other CV values learned from other setups here are CV values that work for the loco in question:

CV2-1 CV3-60 CV4-60 CV5-205 CV9-15 CV49-17 CV51-10 CV52-0 CV53-100 CV54-28 CV55-240 CV56-30

Hope this helps anyone who is having similar problems with either the D600 Warship or the Loksound V5.

Neil.

As I too have a D600 Warship for which I'm looking to fit sound , that's good to know so thanks for sharing! 

• Thanks 1

On 05/03/2023 at 11:46, zoomer1979 said:

Hi all,

After receiving his present he decided that the sound chip he likes the best is Roads and Rails. Chip arrived and fitted but running is now poor with a stuttering start and low top speed. The model was sent to R&R to see what he could do, it came back with more speed but still a stuttering start. Model Rail Scotland last month we decided to ask @charliepettyif he could find a fix. He was doubtful, explaining coreless motors are terrible for controlling. Without any further possibilities and having built up my knowledge of the Loksound V5 I decided that reducing the frequency of the PWM and picking a nominal value for the EMF. feedback value might produce a better running model. It worked. So along with other CV values learned from other setups here are CV values that work for the loco in question:

Neil.

We have tried our Class 41decoder in the model and all seems OK, not sure re the Roads and Rails one though.

Charlie Legomanbiffo-DCKits

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have just installed the sound project from Richard (Roads and Rails), and I love it. Start off is very slightly jerky on the initial tests, but the rest is fine, including the top speed which is a bit too fast for normal use on my layout. I haven't tried tweaking anything yet, but the first thing I would do is lower CV2 start voltage. 

Even so, I have stored Neil's settings for possible future reference.

• 4 weeks later...

I have only just seen this post and can concur that the motor is easy enough to control. I made a video of it and if you cut through the crap of my waffle at the start and see the loco running it seems fine. I am, however, using a Zimo MS440 decoder.