Bachmann DBSO on Analogue

Sean the Bob

Hi all, it's been a while since I frequented the forum but hoping someone might have some advice here.

I recently purchased a Bachmann 00 gauge DBSO Mk2f coach from Ebay, which is DCC on board (built in, so no separate chip or blanking plate). The instructions state that although it has a multitude of light functions on DCC, it will operate with just the interior and directional lighting on DC analogue. I set up a quick layout just to test a loco and the coach (I only have analogue) and there were no lights working and a buzzing noise coming from the coach. I've opened it up, checked the connections and circuit board for any obvious damage but nothing to see. I then swapped controller and this time it didn't make the buzzing noise, but still no lights.

Has anyone had any experience with these coaches on analogue before? I'm wondering if the initial cheap controller has damaged the PCB, or if they just aren't reliable on analogue. The listing the seller posted showed all lights working, although this was likely on DCC operation.

Cheers,

Sean

I have a DBSO and run it on analogue using a Gaugemaster controller. I’ve not experienced the problems you’ve encountered.

My only issue was the flickering interior lighting, which I’ve solved by covering the LEDs with black insulation tape (I didn’t buy it for the interior lighting!). They really could do with having a stay alive capacitor fitted for those who run them on analogue. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Knapdale said:

I have a DBSO and run it on analogue using a Gaugemaster controller. I’ve not experienced the problems you’ve encountered.

My only issue was the flickering interior lighting, which I’ve solved by covering the LEDs with black insulation tape (I didn’t buy it for the interior lighting!). They really could do with having a stay alive capacitor fitted for those who run them on analogue. 

Similar here . Also running analogue on a Gaugemaster Controller . Interior lighting works and I have directional lighting too .  Suspect you may have a duff one 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses guys, I've done a bit of testing with the multimeter and some of the interior lights came on whilst testing, so there might be a duff component on the board. I'll keep fiddling about with it but I'll live with it either way (like @Knapdale I didn't buy for the lighting!).

I am still using ancient old Hornby starter set controllers though so even if it's unlikely to help, I think am upgrade to gaugemaster is on the cards soon.

• Like 1