Bachmann Highlander Coach Pack (39-005) couplings

Coryton

• RMweb Premium

Could anyone who has the Bachmann Highlander Coach Pack (39-005) tell me how the couplings are arranged?

In particular, all the photos I've seen (except for one which looks like it's from Bachmann before manufacture) show the DTCL "cab" end with no coupling. Is there a NEM pocket so that one can be fitted? I would expect so because unlike a DVT for prototypical operation this needs to be capable of coupling to a locomotive. But I can't see any evidence that it is the case.

Also, it looks as if the DCTL and coach have an H0 style hook and loop coupling. Does the coach have a NEM pocket so this can be swapped for a conventional tension lock? Or do the coach and the DTCL always have to run together?

• RMweb Premium

Since nobody else has commented so far... I don't have the pack but looking at photos, I think it is safe to say you can simply swop out the HO style coupling on the Mk2 coach. I also can't see Bachmann spending money on a tooling change for that - it's a standard Mk2 with a different NEM coupling fitted at one end.

As regards the Class 101 trailer, the Unit I have has a conventional UK NEM coupling at the driving end of the DTCL so I expect the pocket is there for you to fit one if you want. However, the internal coupling on my 101 is a bar with electrical connectivity so the lights work in both vehicles with one DCC decoder, so the HO hook and loop and pocket at that end may not be standard. Have you tried asking Bachmann? They're always helpful on this sort of question.

Edited by brushman47544

On 11/03/2023 at 14:37, Coryton said:

Could anyone who has the Bachmann Highlander Coach Pack (39-005) tell me how the couplings are arranged?

In particular, all the photos I've seen (except for one which looks like it's from Bachmann before manufacture) show the DTCL "cab" end with no coupling. Is there a NEM pocket so that one can be fitted? I would expect so because unlike a DVT for prototypical operation this needs to be capable of coupling to a locomotive. But I can't see any evidence that it is the case.

Also, it looks as if the DCTL and coach have an H0 style hook and loop coupling. Does the coach have a NEM pocket so this can be swapped for a conventional tension lock? Or do the coach and the DTCL always have to run together?

The former 101 car has NEM socket on back on cam arrangement and cutout for a NEM fitting thing on front on bogie frame - see photos for details. I’ve switched my connection to a Hornby/Roco type.

what I thought was simple Q… took some finding. I need to sort my stock

storage as wasn’t where it should have been!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Matt
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just seen that this got some answers - and thanks everyone for that.

It seemed unlikely that there wouldn't be a front coupling (both because it's needed, and because the proper DMU version has one), but it was quite striking that all the photos I could find showed it without one, apart from what looked like a pre-production one. And they have had to change something at the other end. I assumed at first that this was one of the DMUs that (for reasons that have never been clear to me) uses H0 style couplings internally, so I was a bit surprised when I realised that the 101 normally has a bar coupling.

It didn't occur to me to ask Bachmann. I generally take the view (and it's been my experience when I've tried) that all but the smallest companies are useless when it comes to that sort of thing but I'm sure it's not always the case.

I do wonder why they didn't put a tension lock coupling on the DMU. The only thing I can think of is that the height is wrong and a hook and loop was the easiest solution - possibly problems only came to light a bit late and it was easier then fitting suitably cranked tension locks?

I thought I read something somewhere that the hook and loop on the Mk 2 coach wasn't in a NEM socket but I may have imagined that.

On 13/03/2023 at 22:00, Knapdale said:

Out of interest, do directional lights work on the DTCL?
Am thinking of purchasing this set now I know a coupling can be fitted to the front of the DTCL and a couple of retailers  are selling them discounted. 

Obviously I don't have one, but I believe that, no, there are no directional lights (which makes it just like the real thing) or internal lights. (Though I think it still has the electrical pick-ups and lighting switch underneath).

Hattons say "Please note that as the DMU vehicle modelled in this pack acted as a non-powered observation coach in real life, this model does correctly not have lighting or a motor fitted."

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hi Ive just done a YouTube video reviewing this pack. So I show goodies bags with couplings in. Also the front of the observation coach has area where nem pocket can be fitted (it's in goodies bag). So take a look at my video. My channel is Blue Bell Central Model Railway where the video is. Cheers Kevin Video name mentions Danny @ Iver Junction followUp review

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 23/08/2023 at 21:50, Eddie Robb said:

Hi Ive just done a YouTube video reviewing this pack. So I show goodies bags with couplings in. Also the front of the observation coach has area where nem pocket can be fitted (it's in goodies bag). So take a look at my video. My channel is Blue Bell Central Model Railway where the video is. Cheers Kevin Video name mentions Danny @ Iver Junction followUp review

Thanks. I've just seen that. Very useful.