If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

Triang DMU R157/158 Non Powered Car Metal Wheels

Mburdett555

Bit of a specific WANT here, and open to suggestions.

I'm adding interior lights to my 3 car triang DMU. 

I've added a light strip with stayalive to the powered vehicle, fine as it wires straight up.

I've added a light strip to my non powered driving end, as it collects power via the front bogie for the headcode lamp.

But I'm looking to add a lighting strip to my middle coach which doesn't have metal wheels to accept power.

I do not wish to use mag light.

Does anyone know where I can get some metal wheels for the coach? 

Obviously one solution is spending £30 on eBay for the whole 3 car set, to get a new non powered DVT and use the wheels. 

Not sure if the part number, and trouble is, some of the eBay ones don't have yellow warning panels, mine appears to be a newer model with headcode lamps.

33 minutes ago, 33C said:

Triang class 31,35,37 trailing bogie with additional pick up strips, have the metal/plastic wheels you need. Part no. X748.

Thanks for that. Only got the airfix 31 so will have a look on eBay for a cheap spares repairs. I have the hymek, didn't realise the wheels were the same.

1 hour ago, Mburdett555 said:

Thanks for that. Only got the airfix 31 so will have a look on eBay for a cheap spares repairs. I have the hymek, didn't realise the wheels were the same.

If you can find the pick up, trailing bogie type, you could use the wire, wheels and pick ups for your lighting. Buy a cheap spares/repair loco, put in normal, plastic wheels and sell on. Might even make a profit!

Does your centre car have one piece plastic wheels with pinpoint axles or the earlier split-axle with metal rod in the middle? If it is the former then as an alternative you can simply replace the wheels with modern Hornby metal wheels (the R8096 ones) and add wiper pickups touching the inside faces of the wheels (not the axles as they are insulated both sides).

1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

Does your centre car have one piece plastic wheels with pinpoint axles or the earlier split-axle with metal rod in the middle? If it is the former then as an alternative you can simply replace the wheels with modern Hornby metal wheels (the R8096 ones) and add wiper pickups touching the inside faces of the wheels (not the axles as they are insulated both sides).

Yes it's the later one. Plastic like normal Hornby type but bigger and seemingly wider as I can't get any others to fit.

If R8096 would work I'll buy some. Bearing in mind they do need to be bigger than normal Hornby wheels which don't fit.

I've bought pickup kits from illuminated models in the past so I'll probably buy the same and adapt.

Just the center car, both driving ends are now properly illuminated and ready to seat passengers.

57 minutes ago, Mburdett555 said:

Yes it's the later one. Plastic like normal Hornby type but bigger and seemingly wider as I can't get any others to fit.

If R8096 would work I'll buy some. Bearing in mind they do need to be bigger than normal Hornby wheels which don't fit.

I've bought pickup kits from illuminated models in the past so I'll probably buy the same and adapt.

Just the center car, both driving ends are now properly illuminated and ready to seat passengers.

The bogies are bigger but don't have 'special' wheels, I'll dig out my example later and check whether the R8096 ones fit as in theory they should be a drop in replacement but let me check first! 

14 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

The bogies are bigger but don't have 'special' wheels, I'll dig out my example later and check whether the R8096 ones fit as in theory they should be a drop in replacement but let me check first! 

No problem, I did try a few transplants from other more modern Hornby coaches 70s onwards, but they don't seem wide enough, they fall out of the bogie.

Assumed the pins on each side of the wheel are longer or the wheel itself is thicker - flange in normal guage , Didn't measure anything just assumed it needed special wheels  

2 hours ago, andyman7 said:

OK I've just tested it out using a brand new old-stock Hornby DMU centre car and a set of wheels taken from a previously unopened R8097 packet (these are the same as R8096 but 3-hole). As expected the wheelset is a straight swap.

PXL_20230313_215630673.jpg

PXL_20230313_215625764.jpg

PXL_20230313_215802984.jpg

Which reminds me, why do Hornby insist on fitting so much of their older coaching stock (e.g. Railroad Pullmans, ex-Lima BR CCTs)  with freight wagon 3-hole disc wheels when they have more appropriate plain disc wheels readily available? Never understood it. 

Anyway, the older Tri-ang/Hornby rolling stock - and diesels for that matter - all ran on 12.5mm (ish) wheels so the equivalent smaller disc wheels (R8096) would avoid jacking up the already too high buffer height on these models, even if the 14.1mm disc wheels would be visually better - on the old Mark 1 coaches for example (they can be fitted if the ride height is adjusted to match of course, but removing the bogies is not easy where they have been rivetted on).

10 hours ago, andyman7 said:

OK I've just tested it out using a brand new old-stock Hornby DMU centre car and a set of wheels taken from a previously unopened R8097 packet (these are the same as R8096 but 3-hole). As expected the wheelset is a straight swap.

PXL_20230313_215630673.jpg

PXL_20230313_215625764.jpg

PXL_20230313_215802984.jpg

Many thanks, I've just bought some off eBay. Will see how it goes 

• Like 2

Unfortunately having purchased some R8097 (unnecessary as this project is now completed anyway), it looks like both ends of the axles are isolated, so I can't collect power via the axle.

However I have bought some pickup strips which should align reasonably well with the top of the wheel so that should be a sufficient alternative to collecting power from the axle.

Unfortunately this is going to require some work as triang didn't make it easy to remove the bogies !

My plan to use the spare wheel set is to make double bogie power collection on the driving vehicle.