Carflat trains - New Vehicle Transport - Guard Accommodation

scottystitch

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

I have a question with regard to Carflat trains, new vehicle transport as opposed to MOtorail services.

I am modelling the period '62-63 and am using the NGS/Farish Carflat A to model a train.  At this time the guard would need to be accommodated in a vehicle at or towards the rear of the train, unless I've got things very wrong in my head.  Would this have utilised a BG of either pre or post-nationalisation origin, or would a goods brake van have been used?

The only photograph I have in my collection that shows a whole train is in "Last Years of the Waverley Route", David Cross, but the train is so long that it is impossible to tell what the guard's vehicle is, although it does look like a coach rather than a brake van.  I'm struggling to find other images on line that show the guard accommodation, but I may be using the wrong search words.

Any help on this would be gratefully appreciated.

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch

• scottystitch changed the title to Carflat trains - New Vehicle Transport - Guard Accommodation
  • RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The freight moves using Carflats - usually for mobving new vehicles from the factory to distributors in major centres - used freight brakevans.  This only changed when brakevans ceased to be required on fully fitted freight trains.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Best

Scott.

• Like 1