Looking for good switches

Barclay

Hi can anyone recommend a good supplier of switches? I'm after miniature and sub-miniature toggles.

I bought a few from Cricklewood Electronics last year - great service but 2 have packed up already. I notice Squires sell all sorts and, I know, have been around for years. The product is considerably more expensive but I'll happily pay it if they are of good quality, so would appreciate any recommendations or endorsements.

Many thanks

• RMweb Premium

Up until lately I’ve got all mine from Expo tools, either at local model shops or direct, sub-miniature ones being not so easy to source I have found. They have been quite reliable for use with my hacked servos and available in a variety of types.

More recently I have got some through ebay ( switch electric - can’t seem to post a link) at a 1/3rd the cost. They seem identical in construction (I always strip one down for inspection). These are all toggle switches of course.

Bob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My chosen suppliers are CPC (part of the Farnell group), just another big supplier of ‘everything’, or ESR Electronic Components (just a small shop <5 mins from Cullercoats  Metro) excellent web site and customer service.

I suspect all sources come out of the same factory in China.
Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Barclay said:

I bought a few from Cricklewood Electronics last year - great service but 2 have packed up already.

I would question "why they have packed up" !

These toggle switches are pretty reliable - as long as you don't exceed their specified ratings.

(Using toggle switches on Seeps, or other solenoid type point motors, will exceed the contact ratings and cause them to fail - for example.

Kev.

(Farnell supplies mine, or I buy them direct - over the counter - when I am in China.)

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

One of the things which I have found can damage switches, especially the smaller ones, is soldering on the leads.  A little too long on the terminal, because of lead free solder or an underpowered iron, might damage something. Not meaning to criticise anyone's soldering except  my own, butit may be a possible failure mode.

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Thanks all - the miniature one is used as a direction switch in a controller - I took it apart and managed to get it working again; the sub-miniature is in one of @Izzy's style of hacked servo's, which I am hoping to use on my small American layout, hence the need for more. It worked during extensive testing but now won't throw properly one way. Perhaps I was just unlucky. Is the general consensus that they are all much of a muchness, wherever you get them from?