Ballast Mats

• RMweb Gold

hi all, i'm going to be lazy and ask what ballast mats do people recommend. This is for a tt layout, i already have a shed layout to ballast and really, really don't want to ballast another layout. its really hard to gauge quality via images on the net, my earliest chance to get to show is in April.

I don't want this to turn into a, its quick and easy to ballast, it looks so much better. I've done enough layouts to know proper ballast will look better but i'm after a quick alternative in this instance.

thanks all.

• RMweb Gold

Never used it, but then again as a relative beginner never used conventional ballasting techniques, but how about sanding rolls from such as Screwfix or Toolstation. Different grit ratings. Inexpensive. Cut to size and shape.

https://www.toolstation.com/hiomant-alox-sanding-roll-115mm/p23914?store=P3&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=_dc&pcrid=&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAjw_MqgBhAGEiwAnYOAeuSzKrOA0tYqSP9SLyFfigBEtgWqNMWTFsD9HQsdGwunuLd5LRIpfxoCdqoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

anyone tried it?

Ian

Or, use thin cork sheet and spray that with granite effect paint (before putting track down!)

For example...

Aldi occasionally have similar stuff, a bit cheaper, when they're doing a hobby themed week.

Edited by Hroth
Extra!
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

fab everyone, thank you for your idea's. I like the idea of  granite effect paint, one less thing to clue down and potentially lift over time. I'd looked at roofing felt, was not sure on the scale though, i need to see it in person.