Continuing Work at Langwies

MichaelE

More work on Langwiess today after my scenery materials arrived. I have a few loose ends to tie up and the catenary erecting will begin.

This is not exactly as I pictured it turning out, but it is a reasonable representation of the station area. I was very short on room on the back edge of the sub-roadbed and had to use a building flat for the Milch Haus just to the left of the sation. I'm also missing a storage shed and an open sided shed to the right of the station and will probably use flats for those too.

I used Google Maps to get a shot of the Milch Haus structure, but I had to use my cell phone to take a pic since you can't do a screen shot on Google Maps. I'll do the same for the other two small structures when I get around to it. I emailed it to myself and scaled it in Photoshop and then printed it and cut it out and pasted it to a piece of foam board.

The trees do a fair job of hiding the trains on the back return tracks. At least it breaks up the pantograph travel so it's not so noticeable.

ZDgZ9cs.jpg

rUIM1UC.jpg

eWAEDjL.jpg

4cwfaaq.jpg

9ocUUHc.jpg

Bz32iw5.jpg

0HJi69p.jpg

4Wtfhzl.jpg

QLGLPrB.jpg

dTsyGdj.jpg

SlDiclO.jpg

OejEVWj.jpg

8GvJacr.jpg

Edited by MichaelE
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• MichaelE changed the title to Continuing Work at Langwies

That looks genuinely stunning.  If my vaguely similar-sized RhB layout ever looks one tenth as good as that, I'll be very happy indeed! 

Question: on the third track from the station building (goods loop), is that a check-rail on there?  Don't think I'd noticed them on RhB before, but it's a while (too long!) since I've been in Langwies.  

Oh, just one thing, though: I think that German police car is a little out of its jurisdiction.....! ;-)  

Perhaps one of these might suit...: http://www.mf-modellbau.eu/contents/de/d699.html

I do look forward to seeing it with the OLE in place - no small job, I suspect... good luck!

PS Ad the screenshots from Google Maps, there are ways around this - I suspect that the Windows Snipping Tool and possibly even just using the (Alt+)Print Screen button on your keyboard might be able to do it for you?

Edited by 37201xoIM
  • Like 1

Yes, someone else told me about the snipping tool, so I will try that for the other structures that I need to make flats for.

The outer track was originally standard gauge and I ran ÖBB trains on it. It remained dual gauge until I installed the points for the station entrance and exit, but the standard gauge rail had to be cut away when I did so. The three leg dual gauge turnouts were a custom job because I mounted the narrow gauge rail on the wrong side of the sleepers, and did not have room for a change-over track piece.

This is now only meter gauge but I left the standard gauge rail in place.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...

Catenary is going up. I have the last cross-span bridge to build to day, and I have some pull-off masts to install, and a tensioner on the west service track, then the wire hanging begins.

j8r8kxR.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started hanging wire about a week or more ago. The three curved tracks are finished and I've started on the straight section now. It looks like a rat's nest in the photos, but it looks OK in person. I guess. This is my first scratch-built catenary...and my last.

9SAsl0C.jpg

pv5VfvB.jpg

CROXTjO.jpg

vuJEZq8.jpg

2EghpjC.jpg

iHsYGzV.jpg

qfumLB5.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Actually, it is Sommerfeldt stuff, but because of the mast spacing, off the shelf catenary sections wouldn't work for the spans involved.

The longest unsupported span is over 26" and it was going to have to be scratchbuilt. 

I was trying to replicate this station area the best I could, and that involved accurate mast spacing according to the actual Langwies track plan. The last cross-span is a little closer to the third cross-span than it should be, but allowances had to be made fore the space I had available for this project.

This much is certain; it is the last time I'm hanging scratch-built catenary. 🤪

W7WRikh.jpg

woWwr0L.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Looks great in the photos. I’m dreading getting to the catenary stage. Fortunately, in one sense, I’m still a long way off that. I can foresee that I’ll end up fitting it on one or two sections of plan track and may never get round to the station area! Of course, some people resort to putting in masts and gantries and just don’t bother with the wires, which is always one possible approach. 

Pre-formed catenary section are relatively fast and easy to put up. It's the scratch building catenary that is a slow and tedious job. I really didn't mind doing it, but maybe not so much.

I would hate to have to do a eight or ten track station area all scratch built.

This video I took a couple of days ago was the first proof runs under the wire with pans up.

Skip to 2:50 to see Allegra departing.

• Like 3

Thanks very much. It was a challenging experience. 

If I could easily find another one of the Faller station kits, I'd replace the Litzirüti station. I don't see that happening any time soon though.

I did add some people, backpackers, tourists, and a Doctor, from Preiser that arrived a couple of days ago.

pYC3MWL.jpg

vlAvYmX.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...