Blue Pullman miscellany

Captain Slough

On 20/04/2023 at 21:49, roythebus1 said:

I'm still thinking of grafting a Blue Pullman front on an HST power car as a "what if" model. with Mk3 trailers.

Looks like someone has tried a Blue Pullman to HST conversation.

The Pullman coach on a MK3 chassis looks quite good.

Wonder if they will sell it separately.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256250318034?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=jFNwAufNRVO&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=jFNwAufNRVO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_20231011_054312.jpg

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 19/04/2023 at 23:11, andyman7 said:

The 37 at least also exists in 'bright blue' but it is very hard to find.

On 19/04/2023 at 23:21, sandwich station said:

I have never seen any mention of this anywhere. As far as I'm aware both locos went from green to rail blue.

Here's the body off one I picked up today. This one's a basket case I've acquired for spares but there is a genuine 'bright' blue bodyshell

PXL_20231021_154358844.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BTW the chassis of the loco above was affected by the worst case of decay caused by over oiling I have ever seen. I bought it as it was fitted with an EM2 pattern trailing bogie, a useful spare that cannot easily be found. Once I had it home it was obvious that the original bogie must have disintegrated due to over-oiling with a mineral based oil; as had the motor bogie keeper plate (which had a home-fabricated replacement fitted); the motor bogie tower (crumbling away); and the entire top bogie mounting on the chassis which had at some point given way and had been repaired with a sort of metal clamp. The body itself had repairs to the bufferbeam at the motor bogie end. I'm amazed that anyone had persevered with it but it shows the perils of liberally applying 3-in-1 to everything.
I have a spare R751 chassis that will go under this body. I was going to chuck the other one but as the centre section is fine I am formulating an evil plan to modify it to fit a Bachmann mechanism as I have both the motor and some spare Bachmann 37 bogies...

• 1 month later...

I'm in no doubt that the Class 37 was released in bright blue, I remember seeing them about at the time the switch from green was made. The model was released a year before the Hymek so unless production of the 37 was suspended for a while it's logical that some were moulded in that colour.

3 hours ago, darkstar said:

Very few items are as rare as suggested by ebay and other marketplace sellers. The final issue Blue Pullman train set from 1974 is not as common as the rest but is not particularly difficult to find, although it's a bit harder to find in the full train set package as they tend to turn up loose. This set was unique at the time is coming with a mains power controller - 1974 was the year after the adoption of VAT in the UK, so for the first time there was no extra purchase tax liability incurred by including such a unit, although it wasn't until 1980 that a (smaller) mains unit was included in every set.

1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

Very few items are as rare as suggested by ebay and other marketplace sellers. The final issue Blue Pullman train set from 1974 is not as common as the rest but is not particularly difficult to find, although it's a bit harder to find in the full train set package as they tend to turn up loose. This set was unique at the time is coming with a mains power controller - 1974 was the year after the adoption of VAT in the UK, so for the first time there was no extra purchase tax liability incurred by including such a unit, although it wasn't until 1980 that a (smaller) mains unit was included in every set.

I don't think I'd want to pay over the odds for incorrect buffers, regardless of how rare they are! Other than that, and ignoring the erroneous livery, the set itself is unusually complete so it'll appeal to somebody I'm sure......

...not least because the buffers just pull out and are a standard Triang spare so if that were the 'only' reason it's easy to swap them over. The most valuable items on those final issue Blue Pullmans are the smooth tread driving wheels, replacing the awful serrated ones of earlier releases.

21 hours ago, andyman7 said:

...not least because the buffers just pull out and are a standard Triang spare so if that were the 'only' reason it's easy to swap them over.

Have you seen how much those oval buffers go for these days?! Back in the 1970s I bought a load as spares to improve the appearance of my Tri-ang Mark 1 coaches - luckily I didn't glue them in...... Later on Lima Warship and Western diesel upgrades generated a pile of their plastic oval bufferheads so these went on the coaches instead and the Tri-ang buffers reclaimed for more deserving causes, as they're actually rather nice! So far three Bachmann 37s and a Deltic all with knackered sprung buffers have benefited, and the project I'm working on at the moment will claim another set, after which I think I'll have two sets left........

..........wandering a bit OT with that, sorry!🙂

• 1 month later...

See this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/276328146767?epid=18012347701&hash=item405670e74f%3Ag%3AhMkAAOSweuxlxxF~&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwPLos7FQjdcg4z12Sr23zs0Ly7Cn4AHDrmwDqA5T4RIsfjq1yNnJ%2FggprZ3WlE9jLTNKRr4Lx86T11ir33sY%2Fno36G%2FlTsn1e4qR6tQToHh1PRRAGYFiTVo%2FAEFXqi9r0f4vSxTnjbFadNrNdOx1vU1q4gzE5%2BXneDEBo73m0khuAkbjfXq7FtgFOwtTWvv4Sb8CqGcGMaxrLZceGsfe2iapADzi5kgwiicA%2BZb9i5kbcjDbbPFno%2BAiFDNSNtXoMQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_TZ-fiyYw&LH_Auction=1

For those seeking TriAng Blue Pullman coaches it may be worth following Oz EBay, as they quite often come up here. A lot of sellers won't post to UK and postage for a single item can be quite expensive, but if you can find someone in Oz to act as a warehouse and then combine items it may not work out that prohibitive? At the moment exchange rates are favourable too, $A1 = 0.50GBP!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C,

Edited by 45568