Farish TPE & SWT Desiros

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann had the livery samples for the TransPennine Express 350 and Southwest Trains Class 450 on display at the Alexandra Palace show. There’s a few photos of both here

3D3E5FCE-91E2-4D0B-905C-ACE135D97205.jpeg.c1b5347aae2aba3faee8184fa3ddc9af.jpeg

Tom.

• Like 5

Hi Gang,

Whilst it is nice to see, these liveries should have been here years ago and are now nothing but historic.

Had the LNW livery been developed alongside, then it would have been easier to give more credit.

This is a problem not just for Bachman, but for other manufacturers too in that, by the time a livery has been through R&D, EPS and production, then the real thing has been repainted or retired (with some exceptions).

I have my doubts about how strong these will be as sellers. Would love to be proved wrong and see these sell out in order to fund newer items.

Later,

Stu from EGVN

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Given Farish’s current release methodology, there’s every chance they have been working on other, unannounced liveries along side these two. 

Tom. 

The mid-blue TPE colour on the 350 looks more accurate than that on the Dapol 68 or Accurascale Mk5a, which both have it too pale IMHO*.

The purple does look a little under-nourished, but all the colours are affected by being metallic. I'm not sure this scales down very well, as each shiny speck would be about an inch wide in N-scale! But I admire Farish for recreating it, and it probably looks great from normal viewing distance.

Being fussy, and knowing the price of models nowadays, the bogies would look better with a coat of paint and, in the case of the 350/4, no collector shoes.

My favourite part is the window labels - those TPE coach letters are the kind of detail that brings a model to life.

Cheers,

Will

* for context, I consider those two of the best models of recent years and have purchased both despite having nowhere to run them!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kris said:

The colours on the TPE 350 look very washed out.

Probably not helped by the rather harsh photo booth lighting and metallic effect Bachmann have used. It's interesting to compare this to the other renditions of the scheme from other manufacturers.

Tom.  

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for sharing those photos @TomE 🙂

I think the TPE livery is probably very tricky to execute well - I do hope they do a good job of it.

The SWT livery seems well captured - I see the 450s daily - the primary colours of the SWT livery now seems very of-it’s-time, ie. starting to look a little bit dated….! I will buy one for posterity, since I’ve spent the past 20yrs seeing and riding them….

But I do really hope they do the SWR livery because that is such a crisp livery and I really like it - that would certainly be a ‘rule 1’ purchase! Hard to imagine that Farish haven’t thought about doing SWR - especially since they supposedly had to tool specially for the 450 non-pan pan well….! Might as well get both of the only two liveries out of it 😂 ! As an aside, I note that on the TfW 769, they just have holes in the pan well where the [absent] pantograph would have plugged in…. frankly I imagine they could probably have adopted that approach with the 450 and no one would have complained…. possibly a few would, but I haven’t seen anyone mention it about the 769. Apart from the non-pan pan well, I’m pretty certain the 350s and 450s are identical, perhaps apart from some underframe differences of AC versus DC….?

I do wonder how many of these 450s end up in the bargain bin though…. and at what price…. I remember obtaining some LM 350s for just £79…. almost impossible to imagine that these days 😐 !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...