New style Hornby motor bogie motor sizes.

Richard_A

• RMweb Gold

I'm after some 2bil motor bogies but they seem to be out of stock everywhere, so I can see that the various parts to assemble one are available but the 2bil motor is more expensive than ones for the class 87 for instance. 

Does anybody know if the motors used in the various bogies are the same size or dedicated sizes for each type? 

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 23/03/2023 at 08:22, rka said:

Does anybody know if the motors used in the various bogies are the same size or dedicated sizes for each type? 

I model in EM gauge and recently tried to convert a Lima HST using a Hornby Railroad Power Bogie - tiny motor and without traction tyres, could only just pull itself.  Undertook the same for a Lima Class 37 using a Hornby Railroad bogie - bigger motor and plenty of pull without traction tyres and hauled 6 coaches with ease.  I don't think there are too many sizes of motor as the Railroad Class 47 bogies are the same as the Class 37 ones.  The motor in the Class 43 HST bogie is quite small, possibly deliberately to steer buyers towards the full fat HST that Hornby also make.  Being small, adding weight to gain traction overwhelmed the motor so in the end I added the full fat bogies and central drive motor to my Lima HSTs and sold on the original Lima bogies.  Overall cost was far less than buying a Hornby full fat HST..!

The only way to find out I guess is to measure the motor you have in the 2bil and ask on this forum.  Provide a side on image with a ruler in the shot and people could give you feedback on sizes of other bogies; happy to do so for Class 37 and Class 47 bogies. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NFWEM57 said:

I model in EM gauge and recently tried to convert a Lima HST using a Hornby Railroad Power Bogie - tiny motor and without traction tyres, could only just pull itself.  Undertook the same for a Lima Class 37 using a Hornby Railroad bogie - bigger motor and plenty of pull without traction tyres and hauled 6 coaches with ease.  I don't think there are too many sizes of motor as the Railroad Class 47 bogies are the same as the Class 37 ones.  The motor in the Class 43 HST bogie is quite small, possibly deliberately to steer buyers towards the full fat HST that Hornby also make.  Being small, adding weight to gain traction overwhelmed the motor so in the end I added the full fat bogies and central drive motor to my Lima HSTs and sold on the original Lima bogies.  Overall cost was far less than buying a Hornby full fat HST..!

The only way to find out I guess is to measure the motor you have in the 2bil and ask on this forum.  Provide a side on image with a ruler in the shot and people could give you feedback on sizes of other bogies; happy to do so for Class 37 and Class 47 bogies. 

Thank you for your reply, 

I was planning on using the bogie in a triang blue pullman, but in the end I found a second hand Heljan class 17 chassis and plan to use the bogies in the kitchen cars, I figured that this would be a better option.