HO Scale Canvas Sunshades

• RMweb Premium

Hello

Does anyone make a detailing part for the canvas type sunshade that the likes of Cotton Belt et al fitted to their GP9's as delivered?

I am having no luck so far.

Hi John:

I’ve generally made my own. They’re easy to make.

- bend a fine wire into a grab iron shape, so that the two legs will fit to either side of the window. This forms the bottom support of the shade. (.0125” wire works. If you can get it, phosphor bronze is stronger than brass and less likely to be damaged from handling.)

- drill holes in the cab side where you want the bottom support to go. (You can figure out that from prototype photos.)

- CA the legs into the holes so the support stands away from the cab side the distance you want the shade to sit when finished. Brush paint the wire (black, silver, cab side colour: whatever your prototype did).

- cut rectangles of printer paper to represent the canvas. I like to cut a strip the length of the shade support, then roll the paper around a small tube to introduce a curl to it, then cut to width so the finished shade spans from support to the top of the cab window with a little bit of a sag in it.

- secure the paper to the diesel so it bridges between the window top and the support. When the glue is dry, brush paint it a canvas colour.

Hope this helps!

-Trevor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the suggestion, I will give it a try when the time comes.

I know there was a part made as I used a pair on my Cotton Belt GP7:

20230324_161641.jpg.c601924e828a7cd6a52a0a3816c3e935.jpg

Unfortunately it was part of a job Lot of bits I picked up some years ago, I never kept the packaging (if it ever had any that is) and I have never seen another set anywhere since, it certainly did not come from any of the better known regular bits and pieces manufacturers.