Osborn’s Models Exclusives, TT 1:120 “Arch Laser”

luke_stevens

2 gloss coats with 24hr between, followed by a couple of matt coats, masking fluid carefully picked away from the windows, the surrounds tided up with a little hand painted matt varnish, all reassembled and we're pretty much done for the moment.

GBL87.jpg.13d4d46b78889a873354088e42300f97.jpg

GBL88.jpg.a7b57fe835e2157f36fbda55f90710a3.jpg

And the Hornby one for comparison! Almost twice the size...

GBL08.jpg.61f142236c094dc99cd5158069ed74b3.jpg

The brass bolts do already clear the track but I'll leave further trimming until there is a layout to run the model on!

I may add a dab of matt oily black to the buffer heads in the future but this will do.

GBL90.jpg.1e3d6449dcdc4a3157b7826dd221b919.jpgGBL89.jpg.7f380beaf63e168a7df7716413dba0b2.jpg

And a roof shot because, why not?

GBL91.jpg.75d0827a8a318d7c2a833e0cabab7c72.jpg

So? I've really enjoyed building this kit. It's a good kit, easy to build and easy to customise. 

Criticisms? 1) I don't like the laser-cut ventilators. To me they are too flat and too fragile. 2) The battery-boxes don't represent the prototype layout or style, but are easy to change.

Mistakes? Many, all mine! I should have realised the L-angle was a different size from the Siphon. I should have used shorter bolts for the bogies.

Learnings? When you assemble the bogies if you don't glue the end of the bogie sides to the frames then it will be much easier to fit and remove them for painting. Use a sharp soft pencil to add some graphite to the axle boxes: it will make them smoother when they roll.

Finally thanks to Osbourn's for providing the kit and not saying anything when I went about making it my way!

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Darlington_Shed said:

Luke, thanks very  much for documenting this in such detail. I have an Arch Laser kit for the Siphon C - but in N gauge. It's been interesting (and helpful) to see how you approached this build! I expect I'll be referring to this multiple times when I get round to starting.

Enjoy the kit!

I really like these kits. They are about my level of complexity and don't take forever to build (except if you keep stopping to take photos and post on RMweb). If you have a questions I've found Osbourn's to be very helpful. If i can help just let me know :)

Luke

• Like 1

Luke, I have just had some TT120 wheel centres 3D printed by a third party at a cost and quality that obviates any notion of DIY.

I would suggest that those that are able could draw up mods for these kits and have them available through such 'third parties' much in the manner of upgrades for plastic assembly models. That should lead to an eventual 'pick and choose' resource for TT120 modellers such as already exists in other gauges.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1