Volume Control with ESU

norman

I have both Zimo and ESU sound chips fitted.  With Zimo decoders you can control the sound volume using function keys, usually F27 sound volume reduces and F28 volume increases up to a defined maximum.  This I find  useful.

Can the same or similar be achieved with ESU decoders?

Yes,   if it is setup in the decoder, it is part of how functions are mapped, so available to end user to change.   
Exact CV values to change are not easy to predict, it depends on how the entire decoder has been setup for function mapping - if you read all the values off the decoder using either JMRI connected to your programming track, or a LokProgrammer then its fairly simple.

(Its the same answer for Zimo, yes if it is setup in the decoder, it is part of how functions are mapped, so available to end user to change). 

Hi Nigel

That's good to know, thank you.

I have the ESU programmer and can read all the CV values ok. What do I need to do then to set the function keys for volume control please?

Look at the function mapping,  find a row, and a function key which is not being used.   Create a row where the function key will operate the "volume" feature (one of the "logic functions").   Its in slightly different places in a V4 and a V5 decoder.    

And read the relevant ESU decoder manual on the topic....

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, norman said:

Hi Nigel

That's good to know, thank you.

I have the ESU programmer and can read all the CV values ok. What do I need to do then to set the function keys for volume control please?

There’s a tab for the volume controls on the sound / functions tab on the lokprogrammer. See pages 13/14 in the manual. 
Pick a free function and use the drop downs to select volume. If you want it in a certain one then move the sounds in use elsewhere.

73D0D006-4DD0-464E-B1BB-63FEAC6A4F39.jpeg.22760cb11ab48ca92a5505c83a4a3725.jpeg