Jaymz' O gauge workbench, mainly wagon kits. Currently a BR DJH J72

Those of you who have seen my other workbench thread (slow moving as it is) will most likely be aware that I had been finishing a Connoisseur G5 for my dad. This was presented to him at Whitby MRCs annual show in Goathland last July. Unfortunately it didn't want to run, as it needed a good clean, which it subsequently got and was able to make a few trips up and down the layout. My lack of facilities to test the loco over points and curves however proved to be its undoing as the bogie was underweight and consequently didn't want to behave! Still, he was very pleased with it, and enjoyed the surprise addition of a ModelU loco crew, including me (driver) leaning out of the cab.

IMG_20220723_142853.jpg.6fb946f3f13efd7ebc49390fd294c415.jpg

This year didn't start very well at all, and I sadly lost my dad in February. I always knew that one day I would inherit his O gauge collection, but I'd hoped that it would be when he had decided that his eyesight had gone, or his dexterity was such that he couldn't enjoy his modelling any longer, and would rather see me enjoying it instead. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case. And so, I find myself in the possession of his eclectic collection, and having not long ago moved house, all of his stock was neatly packed away which has at least meant gathering it all together was relatively simple.

One large box contains a good number of Parkside, Slaters and Connoisseur wagon kits, all of which are started to some extent. I intend to gradually work my way through them as a tribute, without a layout or real means to use them (yet, that'll probably change eventually!) Most of them will usefully be able to be built as mid-BR period wagons but there are a couple which will end up in their grouping liveries, but I'll get to those as and when.

The first wagon out of the blocks is a Parkside Grampus. The main body and chassis had been assembled, though the brake gear was on backwards. This wouldn't have bothered my dad, as it still looked like a wagon, I would however have to correct this! The underframe baskets hadn't been built and the etched bits were still to do. Never the less, he'd still built a basic wagon that he could run (which is about as far as most wagons have got!)

IMG_20230224_191530.jpg.c56c62a7edc4b2a73b8c48bd127d145e.jpg

I set about removing the brake gear, which broke quite cleanly at the attachment points, and in the process some other bits came away too so I decided that a full strip, tidy and rebuild was in order! A night in the freezer (for the wagon, not me) was enough to weaken the glue, and soon it was all into its constituent parts. From there, a bit of cleaning up of old adhesive and a few other rough edges and the everything was ready for reassembly. It is now structurally complete, with all the brass door bangers added (as well as the bracket pieces between the W irons and brake lever guide made from some brass rod). A spray of black awaits before the transfers and then some weathering. I've not added any extra weight yet, as I haven't decided if it will be loaded or not.

20230328_100726.jpg.58250d68129c927e12b5aff9accaf001.jpg20230328_100809.jpg.609033e9cd2a255409fe0e456db1bcc2.jpg20230328_100934.jpg.66e49aefeeb74c0d5c2ad3c9109d6cfc.jpg20230328_101051.jpg.c1183916d15facfd8f11c3fe67dea146.jpg

So, this is the proper start of my O gauge journey which I intend to sporadically document on here. If anyone has any questions, comments or suggestions, please don't hesitate to add them below! Hopefully this will be of interest to some of you!

Cheers

J

Edited by JaymzHatstand
Edited to correct formatting and change title.
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Some further Grampus progress has been achieved this weekend. I took full advantage of Seb (our near 2 year old) staying at his grandparents on Friday to get the undercoat and then main colour sprayed without any 'help'!

20230331_164741.jpg.e53cde7996f8bc84cd0ab8d367751ec4.jpg

Both colours are straight out of Halfords rattle cans; grey primer and satin black. The wooden floor is next on the agenda, which will be based with Tamiya Deck Tan or Buff, and then weathered with various shades and a wash or two. The transfers can the go on and the rest can be weathered.

20230402_093912.jpg.8603ddb07488bc1fd87a557349b99091.jpg

20230402_093921.jpg.4409fe697bd29efc3e3d6904a023d3be.jpg

20230402_093947.jpg.3b5632044a4713ccf37b6ad483bdb24e.jpg

Obviously, when a 2 year old sees a wagon and bit of track, it becomes a wonderful toy! At least it proved some sturdy construction as nothing fell off!

VideoCapture_20230402-094801.jpg.c6f25a6dd7eb52600d8795274fe074eb.jpg

VideoCapture_20230402-094650.jpg.cbea64f415fc8bb204f3b05488db174e.jpg

Not massively exciting progress, but progress non-the-less!

Cheers

J

• Like 7

It doesn't work with all glues, but the contact ones certainly become more brittle. Sometimes it's a case of freeze it, work the joint a bit to weaken it, freeze it again and repeat. Something built with lots of mekpak or similar adhesives that actually melt the plastic together might not be quite so susceptible, but it's worth a try!

Cheers

J

2 hours ago, JeffP said:

Funnily enough my first O gauge wagon was a Grampus.

Still not painted...😒

At least the basic colour is an easy enough job. The many layers of muck and filth that the seemed to aquire may prove a little more time consuming though!

Cheers

J

I've had a crack at the wooden floor of the Grampus. I've done a few wooden interiors in 4mm scale before, but thought that 7mm needed to be a bit more in depth than my previous work.

I had a browse through various articles and a few videos to get a few ideas, and then looked through my paint selection to see what I could do. The first colour used was Tamiya XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan which was brushed on in the direction of the wood-grain (as all colours were) but not a solid coat, so the black base coat showed through in places. Once that was mostly dry, but not completely set, a coat of XF-55 Deck Tan was applied in a similar fashion. Once this had dried fully, a wash made from heavily watered down Vallejo Black-Grey and Dark Brown. I left this to dry thoroughly for a couple of days a further (very thin) wash of Tamiya X-18 Semi-Gloss Black was brushed over to emphasise the planking and some of the grain.

20230407_195642.jpg.1865ba121f901db60806bf3b0747eee3.jpg

20230407_195632.jpg.00fff4197e7aa15e06ca03bff80d16ea.jpg

I also tried to make a start on the transfers, only to find that they have deteriorated somewhat and are no longer as sticky as they should be. Does anyone have any idea how to revive Parkside's press fix transfers? Failing that, I'll email Peco and see if spares are available, though I suspect that several of the other kits may have suffered the same, non-stick fate!

Cheers

J

• Like 3

Microscale do a product called Liquid Decal Film that you can brush onto the transfer that is effectively a new layer of glue. 

They won't stick like the original press fix but become more of a waterslide transfer

They can /will move about when you soak the carrier paper off, so a little care is needed but once pressed in place like a waterslide they stay there. 

Use of Microscale's other transfer setting products helps.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Use of Microscale's other transfer setting products helps

Thanks for that, I've been using Micro-Sol and Set for years, so I'm familiar with their usefulness!

So you'd apply the transfer as normal, and then brush the decal film over the top, or brush it onto what would be the back of the transfer and then apply?

Cheers

J

For pressfix that have lost their tack.

Brush it onto the transfer sheet on the side that sits on the model. I.e the reverse. 

Let it dry, be careful of dust getting onto it and then just cut out the transfer. Lay it on the model and soak the carrier off. 

It could well move when the  carrier is removed but can be coaxed back in to place before a final press down 

Also be aware that the transfer sheet will probably curl up as it dries so best not do the whole sheet in one unless it is still on the card backing and you can secure it flat 

Andy

Edited by SM42
It makes more sense now I hope
  • Thanks 1

You might find that the transfer won't sit flat on the model either. 

Moistening the carrier slightly while holding in place with a cocktail stock or similar will flatten it. 

It takes a bit of getting used to and a bit more patience is needed  but once you've done one, it gets easier

Andy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I picked up some Liquid Decal Film at the York show at Easter, and have finally got around to having a go with it. After a bit of a learning curve, I've had a successful application of the transfers onto the Grampus. I found that using Micro-Sol instead of water on the carrier film was more successful. 

20230517_061348.jpg.17f0bac83cc95c8e2b9fa8551f436a5c.jpg

A coat of satin varnish has been applied and its just awaiting weathering and the couplings fitting, though ideally they should be instanters, does anyone do an etch of just the instanter links to replace the centre link rather than buying a full coupling?

20230517_061303.jpg.ac61b92b10cf92887f003eb7bb2d178c.jpg

I also bought some Ten Commandments sleeper stacks to make a load, one stack is too wide for the wagon, but I can make use of that eventually I'm sure! The other has been painted and is just resting in place. It needs a dark wash to highlight the detail on the chairs, but I'm quite pleased with the overall look so far.

20230517_061403.jpg.7bce9b0bfdb57b7b490947d61ad45859.jpg

Next up will likely be a Gunpowder Van as that's easiest to get at! I'm not sure what condition it's in, so we shall see!

I also want to make some sort of photo plank, as having a bit of scenery is always better for photos I feel!

Cheers

J

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The Gunpowder Van will be the next wagon through the works, but not just yet, I've decided that can go on holiday with me along with some figures to paint. In the meantime, I've turned my attention to a loco which I intend to have available for use at Whitby MRCs Goathland show on the 22nd and 23rd July.

The loco in question is a lovely J72, which I think is from the DJH kit. It was bought years ago already built and painted as 68680, the Gateshead pilot. I intend to keep it's identity the same, but change the BR logos for the two forward facing ones that the loco carried for a while. I also want to add a bit more detail paint wise to it, and maybe a few other tweaks. I do need to fashion a new vent for the cab roof, as the original white metal one has been long lost (easy enough to sort with a bit of brass)

So far, I've had the chassis out and given it a good clean and repaired a loose wire to one of the plunger pickups. Testing on a short length of track proved successful and the loco will crawl nicely (if not a little noisy) so ideal for shunting! The couplings are a pair of lovely screw links, though the rear one is missing its screw (I fortunately have the other bits) which I think is a 13BA brass bolt, as a 14 is too slack a fit, and a 12 is a little too big (I'm pretty sure those are the sizes of bolt i tried!). It's not the end of the world, as whatever vehicle it's being coupled to can use its links instead!

20230603_212325.jpg.cc8dba56be6bc35c43dd12efdfe3fefb.jpg20230603_212347.jpg.6b4500ccc2cc10b7f99d5853f8656be3.jpg20230605_194824.jpg.2797684d7fda9614e0b757779c0e57cd.jpg

I've also started attacking the body with some paint. Though the loco has a lovely glossy finish, the smokebox and a few other areas wouldn't stay that way on a working engine, so a coat of mixed matt black/black grey has been applied to add a bit of variation.

20230605_194511.jpg.fd3da5fbacd4fa6bb5555af2a8f3945a.jpg

20230605_194845.jpg.221e1a8a9e9f508d1d49e0f0cb74dd34.jpg

The next stage will be some painted detail in the cab (which is already nice, just all black, other than the lovely dials!) I've also ordered a couple of figures from ModelU, so hopefully they'll be here before I go away!

20230605_194932.jpg.8cedc9c20006bab9ca6321a7ee5e8d5f.jpg

Cheers

J

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• JaymzHatstand changed the title to Jaymz' O gauge workbench, mainly wagon kits. Currently a BR DJH J72
  • 8 months later...

When last I posted, I was waiting on some loco crew from ModelU, who did arrive before my holiday so were duly packed in my travel paint caddy and were ready to install by the end of the week.

20240305_094501.jpg.186a7430ddfd1999e555760d9b571d4b.jpg20240305_094526.jpg.6f14297585a527533e222a4ce62bff97.jpg

I have also added a bit more colour to the cab, it's by no means immaculate, or the neatest job, but it's enough to add a bit of visual interest. 

20240305_094437.jpg.446f19ed0ed0c7188c201d6b11f2d5a6.jpg

The vent on the cab roof was part of the whitemetal casting, and as such was rather brittle and delicate and while trying to adjust it, of course, it snapped off so a new one has been fashioned from a piece of scrap brass and some rod for the support. This has been soldered to the roof casting, and the area tidied up before painting the same black/black grey mix used on the smokebox, running plate and tank tops.

20240305_094355.jpg.8d5a0ef4c4a11305d2be78dac55f2a0f.jpg

The next job will be to replace the screw couplings with standard 3-links, as that's what the real loco carried. This is quite the fortuitous, as the Slaters brake van I have lined up next requires screw links, and the kit only comes with 3-links. More on that in a future update!

I'm hoping to have a goods train available for traffic by the Whitby Club show in July, so a brake is essential in that, and probably another wagon or two! Time will tell!

Cheers

J

• Like 1

Love the J72. I built one from the original Pearcy kit back in the year when Ringo brought us Thomas the tank engine. I spent a good part of that Christmas on child minding duties so the kit was built entirely on the dining room table. The VHS tapes of Thomas lasted about twenty minutes so each part of the construction was planned accordingly with food and potty opportunities in between. I am not sure what today’s childcare “ experts” would make of a a live 60 watt iron and a bottle of Carr’s red label at the dining table but there were no accidents either to children or model and work was complete in the week. The eldest turns forty this year.

• Like 1

That's excellent! I've not been brave enough to wield a soldering iron when Seb's about yet, I can guarantee an inquisitive hand would appear somewhere! The flux probably wouldn't get sampled, more likely spilled everywhere!

Cheers

J