Cannot get any response from my first try at DCC

SquiddlyDiddly

19 minutes ago, Torper said:

It's a pity that you can't test your PowerCab on someone else's system.  Is there no-one here who lives near Prestbury and has a PowerCab system on which the OP can test his?  Or there's a Macclesfield Model Railway Group - I don't know if anyone there can help or if it would be worth the OP visiting them on a club night to see if anyone has a PowerCab system?  Or although it's two years old, perhaps you could contact the supplier and see if at least they'll test it for you.

There is a Model Railway Club in Macclesfield but I am not a member. I keep seeing posts with ideas for help and as I will not complete my  house renovation until 2025 I have time on my side in respect of resolving my problem. I dare not start a model railway while I have 3 bedrooms to completely strip put in new electrics and Central Heating and redecorate and then furnish.

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, beejack said:

A few things to check if you haven't already!

1. Is the red light on the panel illuminated?

2. Are you using the flat lead in the left socket with the led at the bottom?

3. Are you trying to read a CV using program on the main?  if so this wont read a Cv only allow you to write to it.

I would try the following if you haven't already

1. Press Prog/esc button.

2. press 4 and enter.

3. press 1 and wait for the power cab to read the decoder info.

4. if successful follow the on screen prompts to change the address.

If the following the above you can't read the decoder manufaturers id,  then it is probably a faulty power cab.

One thing you could check before sending it back is to check the eprom is fully inserted into its socket. 

To do this you'll have to remove the back cover but worth doing  before you send it back. sometimes chips can be dislodged in transit.

There are 8 screws to remove, 7 around the edge and one in the middle near the top.  The smaller screw at the bottom on the thin cover can be left as is this an unused battery box.

1. Yes

2 Yes

3. Program Track - I  only have one 1 metre piece of track for this exercise. I do not have a layout.

4.  Prog/esc , 4, 1 responds with "Can Not Read CV"

I will take the back off the controller tomorrow and have a look.

8 hours ago, beejack said:

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SquiddlyDiddly said:

I moved into this area 3 years ago and only now have been trying to get familiar with DCC. I don't know anyone with a model railway and I don't think there is a  model railway shop relatively close by.

How about this club? 

Macclesfield Model Railway Group

2 folk have asked if,

A) are you using the correct cable between powercab and faceplate.

B) Have you got the correct cable plugged into the correct socket on the faceplate.

As a courtesy to folk offering advice, maybes confirm? The Powercab is a very simple unit to set up and operate, if the basics are correct, and your 5 locos have their DCC chips installed properly  the NCE is faulty.

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, SquiddlyDiddly said:

There is a Model Railway Club in Macclesfield but I am not a member. I keep seeing posts with ideas for help and as I will not complete my  house renovation until 2025 I have time on my side in respect of resolving my problem. I dare not start a model railway while I have 3 bedrooms to completely strip put in new electrics and Central Heating and redecorate and then furnish.

Many of us learned most of what we know from model railway clubs. It is helpful to have a collection of different talents & that is exactly where you'll be most likely to find them.

I recommend you give your local club a try. You don't have to make any sort of commitment so if you don't like it, don't go back.

On 09/04/2023 at 12:20, blueeighties said:

2 folk have asked if,

A) are you using the correct cable between powercab and faceplate.

B) Have you got the correct cable plugged into the correct socket on the faceplate.

As a courtesy to folk offering advice, maybes confirm? The Powercab is a very simple unit to set up and operate, if the basics are correct, and your 5 locos have their DCC chips installed properly  the NCE is faulty.

Yes cables and connections are all correct. Yes I believe the controller is  at fault and was hoping to get confirmation somehow on here so that I know I must save up for another one.

Sorry if I haven't replied before but I don't look  at the forums very often and I  can never remember which forum I last commented on. Sorry about that.

• RMweb Premium

If you bought the PowerCab new from a shop and have only used it once as which point it didn't work, then surely the obvious thing is to contact the shop you bought it from.  OK, the manufacturers warranty has no doubt expired, but under Sale of Goods legislation if you took it out of the box for the fist time and it didn't work, then it was not of merchantable quality or fit for purpose and you should have a remedy provided you can prove that the item was faulty when delivered.  That might be difficult in vierw of the passage of time, but I would hope that a reputable dealer would at least test it for you and if it is indeed faulty might/should offer to repair it.  The situation is different if you bought it from a private seller.

On 08/04/2023 at 20:30, SquiddlyDiddly said:

There is a Model Railway Club in Macclesfield but I am not a member.

This information from their webpage

Our club rooms are off Gunco Lane and club nights are on a Monday and Friday night, except bank holidays.

If you fancy joining, please contact us and come down for a visit a few times for free before making your mind up.

You could just simply visit on a Monday or Friday with one of you locos and you will know if there is a problem with the loco or your DCC System

Edited by Peter749
  • Friendly/supportive 1