Perchance to dream ... Branch Line Terminii in TT

NCB

Many of the OO plans in CJF's 60 Plan for Small Locations are desperately cramped by modern standards  . 15" radius curves abound

But do them full-size in TT:120 and you should be cooking with gas. 15" radius in TT:120 is roughly equivalent to 2' radius in 4mm. Platforms drawn to take 2 short coaches and a tank engine should take any tank engine and 3 coaches with ease, 4 coaches at squeeze

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/04/2023 at 15:58, Jeff Smith said:

My GWR BLT is in P4 so I think it would scale ok except I would have to use two points in place of the 3 way!  A long time since I built it but I think the other two points are B6!

Suggest  giving it a go. Would be interesting.

8 minutes ago, NCB said:

Thinking of tweaking B,  looked for Tillig #6 Y point; couldn't find one. Surprised. Am I missing something? 

I don't know what is #6 but there is 15 degrees (to match Hornby I think?) and 12 degrees, although they they look quite long (and no springs):

https://www.tillig.com/eng/Produkte/produktinfo-83380.html

https://www.tillig.com/eng/Produkte/produktinfo-83382.html

• RMweb Premium
On 02/04/2023 at 13:58, Porfuera said:

I don't know whether you drew the goods shed to scale on your plan but I looked up the size online recently (because I have one sitting on my table and I wanted to know the size for my own planning!) and it is:

Length 100mm; Width 110mm - looking at the picture of it online the 100mm is the length of the track going through (as you have it, I think).

The station is apparently: Length 115mm; Width 47mm; Canopy projects 17mm

Assuming you have 50mm squares then the building sizes look right on your plan and to my eye the building sizes look OK and it looks like a nice plan.

Neil.

Oops; I used 145mm for the station not 115mm 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The 15 degree Tillig Y-point has a radius greater than 1 metre; although part of the Modellgleis range it's not one of the "set track" elements— it isn't fitted with rail joiners and isn't shown in any of the geometry diagrams. Hornby will have their work cut out if they want to copy it’s geometry in their range.

IMHO they'd do better to create a point whose legs match the curved legs of the existing Hornby points, in the way the old Super 4 point matched the ordinary points in that range (or like the Kato Y-point does in the Unitrack N range; it's a #2 to match their #4 points). A #6 Y-point would be a very gentle, and very long, piece of track.

Y-points aren’t found much in German set-track ranges—double-slips and 3-way points are (indicative of how frequently they appear in prototype formations). The Tillig "set track" oriented range has one of each — the 3-way being asymmetrical.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am tempted by an experimental TT branch line theme project,  but one wonders if smaller locos are part of Hornby's plan?

A 1970s freight only branch with a couple of 08s would be interesting. It is just a shame they aren't producing 25s or 31s. The lack of any DMUs is also odd given they make up so many modern image passenger services. 

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, fezza said:

I am tempted by an experimental TT branch line theme project,  but one wonders if smaller locos are part of Hornby's plan?

A 1970s freight only branch with a couple of 08s would be interesting. It is just a shame they aren't producing 25s or 31s. The lack of any DMUs is also odd given they make up so many modern image passenger services. 

Class 31s were included in the list of future locomotives when Hornby launched their range.  Prior to this Heljan had been planning one (which would have been the first TT:120 loco to become available).  After Hornby’s announcement Heljan withdrew - the story is in a Heljan thread in the trade section of RMweb.  A 31 plus coaches could offer a Great Eatern option, or alternatively an urban theme (eg: Cyril Freezer’s Minories).  Hope that helps, Keith.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, fezza said:

If you weren't choosy about mixing eras, there's just about enough stuff already on the way to do a freight branch once the blue 08 is available.  For a realistic 1970s scene, though, you'd need a period-appropriate brakevan and probably some more wagons beyond the TTA and MDV.  A BR 20T brake is a no-brainer for someone to do (maybe Peco if Hornby don't?) and ditto some 16T mineral variants.  There are plenty of others that could be done as kits to fit the Hornby 10' underframe. 

• Like 1

On 13/04/2023 at 09:51, fezza said:

Hornby have the following in their catalogue for Phases 3 and 4 (no dates available for these) - page 15 of the current catalogue for running numbers:

Class 31 - Eras 6, 7, 9

Class 37 - Eras 6, 9

Class 47 - Eras 6, 7, 8, 9

Class 60 - Eras 8, 9, 11

The page ends with "Plus, BR Class 67, Hitachi Class 800, BR Class 73 and much more".

Hornby aren't planning Class 25s but ALD Models are proposing a Class 25/3:

https://aldmodels.co.uk/tt%3A120/f/tt-class-25-works-with-Hornby-tt

Also one or two more 0-6-0s were cryptically mentioned in the TT Talk videos, probably steamers.

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Unfortunately the tracks don't quite join up in this version — on the curved branch of the rightmost point.

Common set track problem.  I assume people will use a bit of flex track.