LNWR Varsity Line

I'm in the planning stages of a 2mmFS layout based on the LNWR's Oxford to Cambridge line. Specifically between Fenny Stratford and Woburn Sands c.1927-1930, which I suppose means its actually the LMS Bedford branch. In the space available I can model both stations to scale. I will need to curve their ends and compress the distance between them, but that's ok. There's also room for a through fiddleyard.

Anyway, the reason I'm starting this thread now is that I will need lots of PO wagons and I have no idea which owners are appropriate or how to find that information. I've found a picture of a Fenny Stratford based coal dealer's wagon, but it was a builder's photo from 1905. I doubt that would have a 25-30 year service life, especially as it was a 10 ton 5 plank wagon. How do I go about doing this research? 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I'm modelling Sandy circa 1900, and the easiest way is to study any photographs both for motive power and wagons.  There are several books on the Oxford to Cambridge, do you have any of them? 

The only book I have is Volume 2 of Bill Simpson's Oxford to Cambridge. Which other ones would you recommend? 

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, garethashenden said:

The only book I have is Volume 2 of Bill Simpson's Oxford to Cambridge. Which other ones would you recommend? 

I'll try and find them later. My books are boxed at present while we undergo some building works, so it may take an evening to find them. 

I've also got some magazine articles, PM me your email address and I can send them later this evening.

21 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Will you be including the intermediate station (Halt ??) at Bow Brickhill?

Regards

Chris H

Possibly. I'm going to wait to see it in the room before I decide. I don't want the two main stations to blend into each other. I want an expanse of countryside and fields, and if Bow Brickhill infringes on that too much then I'll cut it. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have been working on the trackplan. Fenny Stratford at the bottom, Woburn Sands at the top. Looking north from inside the layout. The thin red box in the lower left is am approximate hinged bridge for access to the room. The next step will be to plan baseboards and see how they will actually fit in the space.

ZqSlnqY.png

• Like 3