Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kato turnouts and DCC

rogerzilla

An easy one for the experts - I often set up a temporary table top layout with Unitrack.  If I add a passing loop with two of the Kato turnouts (I prefer "points", but it's their terminology), what do I need to do so the loop is always powered?  Any gotchas with the switched live frog arrangement?

Edited by rogerzilla
Clarified wording

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

An easy one for the experts - I often set up a temporary table top layout with Unitrack.  If I add a passing loop with two of the Kato turnouts (I prefer "points", but it's their terminology), what do I need to do so the loop is always powered?  Any gotchas with the switched live frog arrangement?

On the HO points I have there’s a screw that alters the power feed from the set route to both routes powered .

Very clever…

• RMweb Gold

Depends if you are talking N gauge Unitrack or HO. I know nothing about the HO track but the N gauge it will depend on whether its the No. 4 or No. 6 points.

The No. 4 ones have the screws to make them power routing etc but the No. 6 don't.

Easy option is either a power feed track peice or powered unijoiners connected up to one of the 3 way plugs then connected to your controller.

• RMweb Premium

To ensure the loop track is always powered, simply add another track feed to the loop. You may need an insulating joiner on the rail leading to the frog/common crossing of the point/turnout (but probably not for #4 in N). The need for this will depend on if you're using #4 or #6 points. 

Kato Unitrack #4 HO, #6 N may need the isolating joiner, #6HO, #4 N shouldn't.

Have you seen this site:

https://wiringfordcc.com/switches_kato.htm

Steven B.

Thanks for the replies.  It turns out they are actually #6 turnouts - better for running, as they're really long express points, but without the power routing options of #4.  It looks as if the loop will need its own power feed if I want to move locos on there while the points are switched for the main line,but otherwise they should just work.  They are "not DCC friendly" in the sense that adjacent point and stock rails can have opposite polarity, but the gap is so comically huge on Kato points, that a wheel can't cause a short.

Ok, that didn't work - there is no power to the loop when a train is routed through it.  I will have to get the multimeter out and see what's happening.  The points are secondhand and may have mucky wipers, so power isn't going up the inside rail.  I will add a power feed to the loop anyway, but I want to see why it doesn't work as normal.

• 2 weeks later...