RMweb

Strange DCC behaviour

pendlerail

I have a roundy layout under construction and during testing I have found a few issues, 

I currently use a DR5000 with Z21 app,

I switched it on recently and there was a short somewhere, I couldn't find anywhere it would short and nothing has changes from the last time it operated well, when I tried again I noticed one of my sound fitted engines clicked and the power went off again, I took that engine off and tried again and everything was fine!

I placed the offending engine back on the rails and again no problem 

After a point problem caused an actual short, again when I turned it on a different engine clicked and the power went off! I took it off and got trains running again, then placed it back on the rails,

Later a black 5 factory fitted sound was running through the fiddle yard and let out a "pop" noise then the sound stopped but the train kept going with accompanying burning smell? At my wits end with this, is it the DR5000, That I am thinking of replacing or something in my wiring? 

Each thing that happened was in the fiddle yard when it happened on a different line,

Can anyone help?

3 hours ago, Uksid said:

Are you overloading the DR5000.  It will only drive 3 amps I think off the top of my head.  If you have a lot of sound locos the power on surge may overload the DR5000.

Was only running 2 maybe 3 locos at any time, so I don't think so, I have found the DR5000 problematic at times on this and my last layout, so I think a replacement is due anyway 

18 hours ago, pendlerail said:

Was only running 2 maybe 3 locos at any time, so I don't think so, I have found the DR5000 problematic at times on this and my last layout, so I think a replacement is due anyway 

I suggest that you upgrade the DR5000 with the Yamorc YD9401 which is designed and made by the same person who designed the DR5000. It fixes some major hardware limitations within the DR5000, and also provides upgraded firmware that fixes a whole bunch of errors that were in the DR5000 firmware 😀

Edited by WIMorrison
spelling
  • Like 1