Electrofrog problems

Newbie2020

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

I have set up some peco electrofrog points using iP Digital Point motors and connected them through a DCC Concepts Aplha Sniffer to some Cobalt S levers. The points open and close fine. However I am getting a problem woth the frog!

When the points are set in one direction the exit tracks are both live! (as tested with a Train Tech Track Tester). throw the points the other way and only one of the exit tracks is live!

How can this possibly be!!!

Help

Clive

Edited by Newbie2020

There are 3 wires involved. One goes from the common crossing (frog) to some kind of switching device, where there will be two connections to the supply. If you have got those mixed up, that can cause what you are describing.  Make sure the "common" is connected to the frog.

• Like 2

On 08/04/2023 at 09:04, Newbie2020 said:

Hi All,

I have set up some peco electrofrog points using iP Digital Point motors and connected them through a DCC Concepts Aplha Sniffer to some Cobalt S levers. The points open and close fine. However I am getting a problem woth the frog!

When the points are set in one direction the exit tracks are both live! (as tested with a Train Tech Track Tester). throw the points the other way and only one of the exit tracks is live!

How can this possibly be!!!

Help

Clive

Hi Clive,

If you are using a Sniffer, then that suggests you have a separate accessory cointrol bus.

You will need to connect the frog via the S2 contacts on the point motor.

As per this diagram.

Ensure you have isolated joiners on the v-eneds of the point.

image.png.305642de6f3be389ac4cc61c8ff408c6.png

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

Cobalt iP Digital Point Motor Frog Wiring From An Accessory Bus.pdf

Edited by DCCconcepts

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, DCCconcepts said:

Hi Clive,

If you are using a Sniffer, then that suggests you have a separate accessory cointrol bus.

You will need to connect the frog via the S2 contacts on the point motor.

As per this diagram.

Ensure you have isolated joiners on the v-eneds of the point.

image.png.305642de6f3be389ac4cc61c8ff408c6.png

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

Cobalt iP Digital Point Motor Frog Wiring From An Accessory Bus.pdf 210.83 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for that, I completely forgot to connect the track bus - even though I have had Richards note on this right in fornt of me! I feel such a plank! I'll get that sorted tonight and let you know how it goes.

As an aside, when I first tested the points I ran an 0-4-0 over them and all seemed fine - however, what I hadn't thought about was that the 0-4-0 had a "Stay Alive" fitted !!! So, obviously the fault didn't show up straight away!

Cheers

Clive (feeling rather silly!)

• Friendly/supportive 1