Tyne Valley Freight Trains

Davey

I've just finished watching a short video on You Tube, showing the drivers view on a train running from Haltwhistle to Carlisle Citadel on the Tyne Valley Line. What struck me, was how photogenic the line is and it got me to wandering if there is much daytime freight traffic that uses this route. I'd be grateful, if anyone with knowledge of this line, could give me some idea if a photographic trip North for the purpose of photographing freight trains would be worth considering. Many thanks, in anticipation.

Davey

52 minutes ago, Davey said:

I've just finished watching a short video on You Tube, showing the drivers view on a train running from Haltwhistle to Carlisle Citadel on the Tyne Valley Line. What struck me, was how photogenic the line is and it got me to wandering if there is much daytime freight traffic that uses this route. I'd be grateful, if anyone with knowledge of this line, could give me some idea if a photographic trip North for the purpose of photographing freight trains would be worth considering. Many thanks, in anticipation.

Davey

We used to live near the line, in a village called Clara Vale, for ten years until 1991. In those days, there were lots of freights running day and night; sadly, I don't think there are many these days, though the passenger service is fairly busy, at least as far as Hexham. I'd recommend looking for locations centred on Wylam; at least you can nip in the Boathouse, next to the station, if it turns inclement (which it can do..) I look forward to seeing some photos on here.

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest you have a look on Real Time trains.  I have a friend who lives close to the line, he quite often goes out to photograph any freight traffic.

David

On 09/04/2023 at 12:36, Fat Controller said:

We used to live near the line, in a village called Clara Vale, for ten years until 1991. In those days, there were lots of freights running day and night; sadly, I don't think there are many these days, though the passenger service is fairly busy, at least as far as Hexham. I'd recommend looking for locations centred on Wylam; at least you can nip in the Boathouse, next to the station, if it turns inclement (which it can do..) I look forward to seeing some photos on here.

Many thanks Brian for your comments and suggestions about a  possible suitable  location area.

Regards, 

Davey

On 09/04/2023 at 12:39, DaveF said:

I would suggest you have a look on Real Time trains.  I have a friend who lives close to the line, he quite often goes out to photograph any freight traffic.

David

Thanks David for your suggestion regarding Real Time trains. Obviously I need to do some further research.

Regards,

Davey