Tri-ang "Rocket" Locomotive Train - R.346

ROCKET-R.346

Hi Phil...The Locomotive was working perfectly until l stupidly over applied lubricated all the essential and NON essential parts!

It made a high spark within, ran for awhile, and then went silent....I think the complete Motor -X.500  has had a major Heart attack!!

Respectfully,

Peter SINSKI

Hi Phil...The Locomotive was working perfectly until l stupidly over applied lubricated all the essential and NON essential parts!

It made a high spark within, ran for awhile, and then went silent....I think the complete Motor -X.500  has had a major Heart attack!!

Respectfully,

Peter SINSKI

thumbnail_IMG20230411172636.jpg

thumbnail_IMG20230411172650.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for your assistant on the matter....l have taken it apart as you have mentioned, cleaned parts with methalyated spirit, used cotton buds to clear out any dirt, then replaced all together again....placed it on the rail track with the transformer switched on, and then the transformer went off.....???

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

There will be a thermal cut-out in the controller. It will trip out if there’s a short circuit, and auto reset a few moments after the short has been removed.

Assuming all you did was remove and dismantle the motor then I’d check that the insulating sleeve is properly located on the brush retaining spring, as shown on the service sheet. Also check the carbon brush is correctly seated and not touching the front of the motor housing. Same applies to the suppression capacitor, one end is screwed to the chassis block, the wire coming out of the other end might be touching the motor too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It is possible that the heat generated when the commutator on the motor burned due to oil contamination caused the solder joints from the windings to come adrift. The armatures are VERY small and difficult to repair. I have a spare motor in stock, but it's not going to be cheap as they are very scarce.

PM me if you want me to have a look at the motor or supply a good spare