Westward Models Beattie well tank in 4mm

For my final project of the winter season I have been  building a Westward Models Beattie well tank kit that I acquired in 2021. I never managed to see the renowned trio of 0298's in BR service but I have enjoyed seeing and travelling behind the two surviving locos on preserved lines. 

The Westward kit is well thought out and has some quite nice castings. Unfortunately the fire box bottom on the RH side was incomplete and must have been a faulty casting. I got round this by fusing on a suitable piece of scrap white metal before filing to shape. I was fortunate in that the kit as purchased also included a set of Gibson wheels and I added a High Level  RR+ gearbox with  HL1020 motor. I have used about 6 of these little budget motors to date and have been very pleased with them. The kit instructions were a little vague in places, particularly where the crossheads were concerned. The latter were produced from a fold up etching which didn't work for me so I filed up my own replacements from brass. 

(309)2023-03BeattieWelltankbuild.jpg.be1656885910022311af3cb7771bf407.jpg 

The body didn't require much in the way of extra detailing but I have fitted RT models LSWR lamp brackets and a Markits whistle, although the latter is not shown in these shots.

(310)2023-04-30587awaitingprimer.jpg.d81e3a855c26a230e6f07a611eedfa68.jpg

(311)2023-04-30587awaitingprimer.jpg.d59d63c0f7f1c62aa9dc6bc9d9342ba2.jpg

The model has since been painted and is now almost complete. A final update in a day or so.

Barry

• Like 11

19 hours ago, Pierview said:

For my final project of the winter season I have been  building a Westward Models Beattie well tank kit that I acquired in 2021. I never managed to see the renowned trio of 0298's in BR service but I have enjoyed seeing and travelling behind the two surviving locos on preserved lines. 

The Westward kit is well thought out and has some quite nice castings. Unfortunately the fire box bottom on the RH side was incomplete and must have been a faulty casting. I got round this by fusing on a suitable piece of scrap white metal before filing to shape. I was fortunate in that the kit as purchased also included a set of Gibson wheels and I added a High Level  RR+ gearbox with  HL1020 motor. I have used about 6 of these little budget motors to date and have been very pleased with them. The kit instructions were a little vague in places, particularly where the crossheads were concerned. The latter were produced from a fold up etching which didn't work for me so I filed up my own replacements from brass. 

(309)2023-03BeattieWelltankbuild.jpg.be1656885910022311af3cb7771bf407.jpg 

The body didn't require much in the way of extra detailing but I have fitted RT models LSWR lamp brackets and a Markits whistle, although the latter is not shown in these shots.

(310)2023-04-30587awaitingprimer.jpg.d81e3a855c26a230e6f07a611eedfa68.jpg

(311)2023-04-30587awaitingprimer.jpg.d59d63c0f7f1c62aa9dc6bc9d9342ba2.jpg

The model has since been painted and is now almost complete. A final update in a day or so.

Barry

Barry

I have very fond memories of visiting Puffers of Kenton weekly in the late 60's/early 70's. Down stairs was the finescale department and Puffers took over the Westward range. I could never afford these kits only the cheaper K's

Over the past couple of years I have been slowly building up a collection of their locos and GWR railcars. I managed to but a part built one of these with a small Mashima motor. I need at some time to widen the chassis to EM gauge.

It did not cost me much (£53) especially as its got wheels motor and gears, but I am missing most of the instructions. A few of the smaller etched parts are also missing. but as I said the wheels and motor if bought new would cost me more than what I paid for everything. I do have a Roxey Mouldings 7mm kit which I can use as a guide

I look forward to see you finish it

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

Barry

I have very fond memories of visiting Puffers of Kenton weekly in the late 60's/early 70's. Down stairs was the finescale department and Puffers took over the Westward range. I could never afford these kits only the cheaper K's

Over the past couple of years I have been slowly building up a collection of their locos and GWR railcars. I managed to but a part built one of these with a small Mashima motor. I need at some time to widen the chassis to EM gauge.

It did not cost me much (£53) especially as its got wheels motor and gears, but I am missing most of the instructions. A few of the smaller etched parts are also missing. but as I said the wheels and motor if bought new would cost me more than what I paid for everything. I do have a Roxey Mouldings 7mm kit which I can use as a guide

I look forward to see you finish it

John

I could never afford them at the time either! If it is of any help to you I do have the instructions for this kit and can copy all or whatever pages you are missing.

Barry

• Thanks 1

What I noticed was the instructions are much better than the likes of K's and early Wills kits, but still rely on just a simple exploded diagram without any additional diagrams fot things like making the etched crossheads and piston rods. But so much better than the single page instructions of earlier kits.

As a whole a lovely kit where care and attention in both the design production and materials used, no wonder these kits were  unaffordable for a young teenager ( or either I should have concentrated on quality rather than quantity or had the willpower to wait a bit longer and save up a bit more.

I have now completed 30587 and here she is.

thumbnail_IMG_2448.jpg.6800c10f010701031d7ad22c0d1b844e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2449.jpg.a02ff7f896c18baca6bbda5c899194ee.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2450.jpg.a21d322b901134c20fc8e08b096fa3a9.jpg

This is the second of my Beattie well tanks which will now  join 30586 which I built a few years ago using Jidenco etchings.

(45)2019-0330586complete.jpg.400fa681b44ac9669b9969c0161307cd.jpg

That leaves 30585 to be added to complete the trio. I have a Kernow RTR model for this one which will only need slight titivation to bring it into service. Perhaps i will do that one next!

Barry 

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2