3D Print NEM pocket for Lima Mk3 required

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I am looking for some assistance in the design and production of a 3D printed NEM pocket for some Lima mk3 coaches. I don't own a 3D printer or have any knowledge of the software that goes into the design process. 

I have about 70 such coaches I'd like to fit, most of which are currently fitted with Kadee No.5s and as part of fitting those many years ago the original Lima couplings were cut right back to the bogie frame. Having done a some research I found a few possible products on eBay but most required the retention of the arm between the Bogie frame and the coupling 'D' so these were unsuitable. 

Most standard Lima OO coach bogies have a rectangular hole at the front of the frame and I wondered if this could be used to locate and secure a replacement coupling.

All Mk3s are running on replacement Peters Spares PS34 11.5mm wheels and all Lima Power Cars have been converted to Hornby Railroad chassis' (mostly bought as spare parts) I recently managed to obtain replacement bogie frames for the PCs as the NEM arms on these were also cut off for Kadee fitment so I am only in need of a NEM pocket for the coaches.

Coupling1-Small.jpg.9b8aafab2dfff96670c74e0c1f7fc72f.jpg

Power Car and Mk3 with Hunt Couplings in place.

Coupling2-Small.jpg.b531d942f06759705f6ae829509e3361.jpg

Bogie with rectangular hole (4.8mm wide x 2.7mm long x 2mm depth to underside).

LimaBT10NEM-Small.jpg.cfa46573f03251798722bd5449ae5b12.jpg

Quick sketch of what I was envisaging.

LimaMk3NEM.png.f6f1390da84a68f1498955c76bb3e504.png

I made this on MS paint but I actually think this would make the NEM coupling about 2mm too low so some slight adjustment would be required to get it to the right height.

I also have several Hornby HSTs which have been converted to Hunt Couplings using standard parts and I wanted to convert my Lima sets to enable me to mix and match sets between the 2 manufactures E.G. Intercity Swallow (Lima) with Virgin (Hornby) or FGW Fag packet (Lima) with FGW 'Barbie 1' (Hornby).

Any assistance much appreciated.

Dale

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

You are missing a couple of dimensions. The position of the standard NEM pocket are needed. 

Thank you Keith,

Are these things I can measure myself or find online? I did a quick measurement on the Power car above and found the bottom of the Hunt coupling was 6.4mm above the top of the railhead.

I'm not too fussed about it being compliant with NEM standards more getting it the same height as existing vehicles I have fitted.

HornbyLimacompare-Small.jpg.c78c36e91ff8a7ba2d3d24dd3d7ea4ae.jpg

Comparison of full Hornby (L) and my Lima/Hornby railroad lash up (R), note also the Hornby Power Car has a slightly longer gangway than the Lima bodyshell so there will always be a slightly larger gap when any Lima body is compared.

Dale

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, billbedford said:

I have some of these if they are any good

Thank you but I was after something bogie mounted rather than chassis mounted.

Dale.

• RMweb Gold

First off I'd start by installing MS 3D Builder (if it's not already on a PC you have access to) and have a play. It's a bit of a step to start, but as soon as you get the idea that your models are built up from combining 3d shapes then you should be away.

Holes are cut by inserting a suitably sized shape and the using the subtract option.

@noiseboy72 got me into MS 3D Builder and now I seem to be unstoppable in producing designs for him to print for me 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/04/2023 at 14:56, RedgateModels said:

its a very deep rabbit hole LOL

I have been incredibly impressed with your design skills, they are much in excess of my own. What you achieve with MS builder is just amazing. Your APT bogies and pans are a work of art, and would be hard to create in Solidworks, let along MS Builder. 

It's a genuine pleasure to print parts for you :)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, noiseboy72 said:

I have been incredibly impressed with your design skills, they are much in excess of my own. What you achieve with MS builder is just amazing. Your APT bogies and pans are a work of art, and would be hard to create in Solidworks, let along MS Builder. 

It's a genuine pleasure to print parts for you :)

I can’t claim too much for the bogies, @apt-e did the majority of the work in Tinkercad, I’ve just run with his original design to make something more like the stock item.

I do use Tinkercad for shapes that Builder does not do, like springs and I ended up designing the pan insulators in Tinkercad too. I always import them into Builder though, just prefer it’s interface.

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Right then,

A week later than planned and after watching a quick YouTube tutorial video on 3D builder I took the plunge. I found the program very easy and intuitive to use.

Going off my design from post 1 with NEM opening dimension sourced online and a slight modification at the back as an attempt to correct the height miscalculation I mentioned.

3Dmodel1.png.b0f8a53df0ea20fbb779b2761d2e1ede.png

3Dmodel2.png.45cc91f764276b3e8b9db73e6f5ea1c1.png

I'm quite pleased with it although minor adjustments are probable, possible thoughts for improvement would be something extending backwards from the top to anchor on top of the hump over the axle or a separate part that inserts underneath the block that goes through the hole in the bogie frame

Dale

• Like 3