Wagon buffer types

Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium

I'm trying to identify a few different buffer types primarily for my late 50s 7mm modelling. Any help appreciated.

I've mostly used my own pics to avoid copywrite but i hope a few extracts of photos ive downloaded are ok for identification. I've ignored what the wagons are as may well not be originals so it's a bit academic

Pic1

Right hand is an oleo type I'm familiar with. Slaters and others do them.

Is the left a Dowty hydraulic? Parallel barrel but narrow diameter buffer shank. Anyone make these in 7mm?

DSC_0047(2).JPG.684f54ae6826244b637f1ae01ea52b2e.JPG

Pic 2 Dowty - better photo

EJNJj2pXsAY0_Jx(2).jpg.2d026efbcfef00490a25a4ee6fe7d6b4.jpg

Pic 3 (Left again Oleo).

Right is pretty standard but i dont actually know what is its. Longer type,but short side rib

DSC_0049(2).JPG.6048a95cf6f566f3f985da6ec64f1c6a.JPG

Pic 4 Left hand is similar to above but much more obvious side ribs and a short top rib

DSC_0052(2).JPG.697170b613f73f9d1ae55be2b812721f.JPG

Pic 5 i think is an early BR self contained. Note the barrel isn't smooth and a tiny side rib, not clear in this photo but is there. GJH Plant/Invertrains do these, albeit without the side rib.

shildon-presflo-large_1997_7486_379(2).jpg.10c0067c72ebe84ec338652db93b60bf.jpg  

Pic 6

Ellis Clark early Presflo type. Accurascale also do them like this. Paul Bartlett's site shows some Presflos with these (eg 1/272 No. 888034) - I assume another self-contained variant? Were they original or a later type? Any ideas?

E3007A2_2048x(2).jpg.53b5d5d47f97fa7c33ab48bf3e7b736a.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

• Hal Nail changed the title to Wagon buffer types

The buffers in Pics 3 & 4 are the old fashioned RCH pattern spring buffers. Originally the buffer spindles bore on the ends of a large leaf spring that was mounted across the underframe behind the headstocks, but the 1923 spec underframes allowed for each buffer to have its own coil or rubber spring. The 4-rib buffer guide is the standard pattern, but the 2-rib variant was common, more usually on railway owned merchandise vehicles.

The buffer in Pic 5 has, I think, its origins with the LMS, but it is also really only a variant of the Turton-Platt self-contained buffer used, predominantly, by the Great Western.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, jim.snowdon said:

The buffers in Pics 3 & 4 are the old fashioned RCH pattern spring buffers. Originally the buffer spindles bore on the ends of a large leaf spring that was mounted across the underframe behind the headstocks, but the 1923 spec underframes allowed for each buffer to have its own coil or rubber spring. The 4-rib buffer guide is the standard pattern, but the 2-rib variant was common, more usually on railway owned merchandise vehicles.

The buffer in Pic 5 has, I think, its origins with the LMS, but it is also really only a variant of the Turton-Platt self-contained buffer used, predominantly, by the Great Western.

Excellent thanks. I had a feeling one of 3 and 4 would be RCH but I didn't realise they both are. 

5 interesting as well.

11 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

... The buffer in Pic 5 has, I think, its origins with the LMS, but it is also really only a variant of the Turton-Platt self-contained buffer used, predominantly, by the Great Western.

All these are, of course 1’8½’’ buffers for fitted stock and the RCH types also came in a 1'6'' variant for unfitted - the GWR/LMS Turton Platt was also widely used by the SECR and Southern ( more so than the LMS ).

Try the Lanarkshire website for buffer comparisons ( http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_008.htm ) ...... you might persuade them to up-size to 7mm at some time in the future when they're not too busy !

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Try the Lanarkshire website for buffer comparisons ( http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_008.htm ) ...... you might persuade them to up-size to 7mm at some time in the future when they're not too busy !

Eh what!!!!

Sorry but no chance of that happening.

Dave@LMS

• Like 1