Lineside fencing / barrier next to Freight Yard in the 1990s

My OO gauge layout based in the early 1990s has a 3 siding Freight Yard.  Next to the Yard is a single track road that leads to a cripple siding.  What kind of fencing or barrier would have been erected between the track and the road.  A link to where you can buy it would also be useful.  Thanks Kevin.

• RMweb Gold

I remember the now-common grey steel fencing appearing around depots, etc., in the 1990's.  Something like this:

https://www.petersspares.com/p/wills-ssm317-modern-palisade-security-fencing-1460mm-fencing-only-oo-gauge

... but my memory could be playing tricks.  Before it was the old traditional 3-strand-on-top chain-link mesh:

https://www.ancortonmodels.com/product/oof8-security-fencing-kit-9ft-high-with-3-strand-barbed-wire-top-x-480-mm/

Caveat: I have neither bought these products myself or have any connection with the companies.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Is the fence intended to keep people on the road out of the yard, or is the road part of the yard and the fence merely there to stop  vehicles straying onto the track ?

If the former then chain link or possibly palisade as mentioned. Maybe sectional concrete onbthe LNER or SR. If the latter then either something low fabricated from old rails, or nothing at all. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you want a barrier but not one that is too intrusive, the bog standard 3ft chain-link fence with either concrete or wooden posts might suit. https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/lx183-oo-3ft-chain-link-fencing-oo4mm176-1876-p.asp

(Satisfied customer of other products by this company)

An example from 1988

Carnforth coaling and ash plant c1988.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

The answer may depend on region.  I can think of an example of where LNWR fencing survived at least until the late '80s.

Admittedly this photo is a little earlier than your stated time period but I thought it was too good not to share...

Ajax at Adderley Park

Click image for details, linked from Geoff Dowling's Flickr gallery.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Could depend on the date. If before privatisation the only fence would probably be between BR land and private sidings, even then there were instances of it not being done. The roadway to my office 1988-91 was next to a stone depot and that had an armco barrier along it.

• Like 1