Hungary now...

britishcolumbian

The little "station" at Vadna near Kazincbarcika, on Line 92, Miskolc-Kazincbarcika-Bánréve-Ózd. The line is double electrified to Kazincbarcika, double tracked to Bánréve, and non-electrified single track between Bánréve and Ózd.

20230421_072957.jpg.02404e818f50d3197c1f8352361c4933.jpg

Two trains run in each direction each day, an early morning pair and an early evening pair.

• Like 7

Today was an eventful day, got a cab ride in a FLIRT along Line 2 from Budapest-Nyugati to Esztergom and back. Rode Bp-Ny to Esztergom, on the return trip I got off at Leányvár where I took like 200 pictures for modelling purposes. 2 hours later was my driver friend's train again, rode to Esztergom, then back to Budapest. Here's a selection of pics from this excursion. 

My ride: 415 108

20230423_120955.jpg.793862085f5af187d797e3fa342d7040.jpg

Heading north into the only tunnel on the line:

20230423_125346.jpg.0f10b51dd3547ceb9fc153a4e50485c0.jpg

• Like 5

The Metropolitan runs several times daily between Budapest and Prague, always with a Czech loco all the way. The 380 above brought it in, the return was hauled by 380 017 in a special "Kometa Express" livery with the logo of Kometa Brno, one of the strongest hockey (ice) clubs in Czechia:

20230423_102914.jpg.b76c72937de643c7573519e313d32b25.jpg

416 018: Russian-made DMU of metro design. MÁV didn't want these but they were sent by Russia as debt repayment; they're nicknamed "Putin's Curse" by railway workers:

20230423_105902.jpg.93d1baf1e5c2edef7a3fafd1ba73c376.jpg

• Like 5

In your model will the station master be stood outside the main doors of the station building to watch the train go past? In Romania it seems to have clung on as a practice. I always assumed that it was to provide some kind of visual check on the trains. They always seem to be stood in the same place, no matter how tiny the station is.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Morello Cherry said:

In your model will the station master be stood outside the main doors of the station building to watch the train go past? In Romania it seems to have clung on as a practice. I always assumed that it was to provide some kind of visual check on the trains. They always seem to be stood in the same place, no matter how tiny the station is.

It seems to have been part of the operating procedures in a lot of Germanic / Austro Hungarian countries.  I believe the Statiomaster giving the Driver a hand signal as the train passes was / is a confirmation of "Line Clear".  I don't know whether any countries still have it in their Rule Book now that a lot of signalling is centralised and more stations are unstaffed than they used to be.

On a model you could have a Stationmaster figure on the end of a rod which could be used to poke him through the station door....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Morello Cherry said:

That's a tidbit I'd forgotten... but yeah I now remember seeing that in the 90s, so yes I'll have the station master standing there!

On 23/04/2023 at 22:48, 31A said:

It seems to have been part of the operating procedures in a lot of Germanic / Austro Hungarian countries.  I believe the Statiomaster giving the Driver a hand signal as the train passes was / is a confirmation of "Line Clear".  I don't know whether any countries still have it in their Rule Book now that a lot of signalling is centralised and more stations are unstaffed than they used to be.

On a model you could have a Stationmaster figure on the end of a rod which could be used to poke him through the station door....

It was part of railway operating practice across the Eastern Bloc

• Like 1