Freight on the Central Wales line

VIA185

I'm going to be spending a few days at Bucknell on the Central (Heart of) Wales line. Is there any freight - or anything that might add a bit of variety - other than the Class 153s on the passenger service? (CJL)

• Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, VIA185 said:

I'm going to be spending a few days at Bucknell on the Central (Heart of) Wales line. Is there any freight - or anything that might add a bit of variety - other than the Class 153s on the passenger service? (CJL)

Very occassional nocturnal Network Rail 97s on 'yellows'. Whilst there may still be some very limited coal traffic (clearing remaining coal stocks from mothballed open cast mines and washeries) at the southern end of the line, as far as I am aware there are no through freight workings these days.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

At an interview bax ck in 1989 I was asked to list all the freight facilities in any 50 mile stretch of the WR.  I replied - 'Pantyffynon exclusive to Craven Arms - nil' - basivcally just to prove that people need to think about what they are saying before they ask a question.  I then listed every single freight facility between Paddington and Newbyury.

And yes - I got the job and became the WR Freight and Departmental Planning Officer.    And didn't add any freight facilities on that part of the Central Wales Line although there were some occasional diversions that way at various times but they were very difficult to resource.  They'd be even harder to resource nowadays.

• Like 2

There is NO regular freight along the Central Wales line.

I cannot recall the last freight diversions along the route.

The irregular flow from (East Pit) G-C-G to Onllwyn (Washery) ceased a few years ago.

Edited by br2975
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thanks, everyone. That's what I thought. So there will be lots of pictures of 153s. Or at least there would be if I could find an actual timetable rather than these b useless things that ask you what time you want to travel, where do you want to go (and on other railways) offer to sell you a ticket. The Heart of Wales line gives no clue about how to buy a ticket - just that the station has NO facilities except step-free access. So I assume tickets are sold on the train. Very poor marketing, though. (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, br2975 said:

There is NO regular freight along the Central Wales line.

I cannot recall the last freight diversions along the route.

The irregular flow from (East Pit) G-C-G to Onllwyn (Washery) ceased a few years ago.

Seems Network Rail continue to maintain the G-C-G branch? Spotted some members of the 'orange army' undertaking apparent PW works at Pwll-y-Wrach (G-C-G) viaduct a week or so ago. A couple of weeks earlier, NR boys were working at Glanaman.

• Like 1

Reading up on the train service, it looks like there are issues at present with cancellations leaving people stranded at rural stations with no information system and no mobile phone signal. Looks like I need to stick with the bigger towns where I might be able to get a taxi back if necessary. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, VIA185 said:

Reading up on the train service, it looks like there are issues at present with cancellations leaving people stranded at rural stations with no information system and no mobile phone signal. Looks like I need to stick with the bigger towns where I might be able to get a taxi back if necessary. (CJL)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Loaf_railway_station#:~:text=Sugar Loaf railway station is,the Heart of Wales Line.

A wild and lonely spot!

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Pedantically, even that's out of date now they've renamed the Brecon Beacons!

Mike.

And being more pedantic

The Central Wales Line ( or, Heart of Wales Line, for marketing purposes) doesn't pass through the Brecon Beacons.

Of course, if bored, you could use the fingers of one hand to count the locals who refer to the National Park by its' Welsh name.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2