LokSound V5 Buzzing noise

ShedLayouts

Hello

I bought a Dapol Class 68

I bought a LokSoundV5 decoder and fitted it. The small sugar cube speaker hit the side of the class 68. It was my fault it did that. Now there is no sound just a buzzing noise. I've tried replacing the speaker but it still does it. Functions on the train such as cab/directional lighting work and the train moves back and forth freely under control. However all I get from the sound is a buzzing noise. It doesn't matter what function just the same buzzing noise. If I turn the sound off there is no noise it's definitely something to do with the function. Doesn't matter what function I use either, horns, movement all create the same noise. As I've replaced the speaker it's not the speaker that's causing the issue. I am using a Roco Z21 Control system. It's my own fault for not taking proper care but I'd like to know what I've done for the future. I would attach a video of it but I can't. Site won't let me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Unfortunately, from your description of events you have probably shorted the speaker terminals if they touched metal (eg chassis) simultaneously. If the sound was 'on' when this happened, the very low resistance would cause the decoder's amplifier to die.

This would be why no sound is heard.

Often there would be no sound at all rather than buzzing.

At this point there's not much you can do other than return to your supplier for a repair or replacement, but it's probably worth doing a reset before this.

Programme CV8 = 8 to reset.

For the future, consider covering the metal parts of the speaker with insulation until it's finally fixed in place, since such catastrophic failure is instant giving no time to react.

ESU have a good warranty policy, so, as sickening as it appears now, all is not necessarily lost.

Good luck.

Paul 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As Paul says unfortunately probably the amplifier, if you send it back it will only cost around £30 usually to fix :) I had to extract one from a std tank for a friend and found the original install hadn’t insulated the chsssis block and the loose speaker had obviously touched it. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much for the advice. Resetting the CV didn't work unfortunately so just the way it goes. It's my own fault so I just have to take it on the chin and learn from this experience. It's my first attempt at this and I guess I just caught rushing something that you don't need to rush. Learn from this and prob have to buy a new one in time. At least the loco still moves so it's useable which is the main thing. Again, thanks very much for the advice and replying back this post.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, ShedLayouts said:

Learn from this and prob have to buy a new one in time.

It’s worth contacting ESU if you didn’t buy it from a shop direct to deal through. The repair is usually less than a third the price of a new one. My friend returned it via the dealer and had it back within two weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...