Dawlish Warren in N gauge

Chris M

20 hours ago, osbornsmodels said:

great looking layout, nice cameos and excellent use of backscenes.

regards

Maurice

Thanks Maurice. Hero’s a photo you might like 

IMG_8697.jpeg.8c2b4b24b6e3c9e5e2de9111e76736d3.jpeg

Did you know that I hold you responsible for causing me to spend thousands of £s? Some years ago I had a nice little N gauge branch line with a small number of nice little branch line locos. Then you brought out this limited edition, and I bought one.

IMG_8500.jpeg.7fc324321579335a5af96ee50bf9ff03.jpeg

From then on it was all downhill. First I had to buy some coaches for it, then I bought another Western and before I knew it I was building a mainline layout which eventually led to me building Dawlish Warren and investing in the stock to run it. If it hadn’t been for your limited edition Western Enterprise none of this would have happened. So it’s all your fault. 😉

IMG_0193.jpeg.f5bac8c3f0849b94c268be8f993b8da0.jpeg

IMG_5988.jpeg.ba4309ef89a503a65733537579135849.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

Great to read a thread about the railway Chris. Even though I’ve seen it in the flesh plenty of times having the photos in front of you gives an opportunity to study the buildings and scenery a little better without having to step out of the way because of the amount of people admiring it!

A few days ago I sketched out a couple of plans for a future Moors View replacement and one of my ideas was for a shortened section of the sea wall leaving Teignmouth. I was quite pleased with it but when I sent to Paul he just said “Nah. No point, Chris has done that area in N gauge too well already.” 😄

Nick

Edited by Cowley 47521
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Great to read a thread about the railway Chris. Even though I’ve seen it in the flesh plenty of times having the photos in front of you gives an opportunity to study the buildings and scenery a little better without having to step out of the way because of the amount of people admiring it!

A few days ago I sketched out a couple of plans for a future Moors View replacement and one of my ideas was for a shortened section of the sea wall leaving Teignmouth. I was quite pleased with it but when I sent to Paul he just said “Nah. No point, Chris has done that area in N gauge too well already.” 😄

Nick

Go for it! There’s always room for another sea wall. I’ve often thought that little cove just west of Dawlish would make a great model. It is quite a short section of line between tunnels so is perfect for a model. 

Looking forward to meeting up again at the Warley NEC show in November. I’ve seen the provisional layout plan and we are not next to each other but I think we are blocks that are next to each other. In the meantime the next edition of a certain magazine published on June 8th will be a nice event for me. It might be out of order to mention the magazine name here but it is the one that Mr Nevard takes photos for. I’ve seen some of Chris’ photos of DW and was gobsmacked by them (in a good way).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris M said:

Go for it! There’s always room for another sea wall. I’ve often thought that little cove just west of Dawlish would make a great model. It is quite a short section of line between tunnels so is perfect for a model. 

Looking forward to meeting up again at the Warley NEC show in November. I’ve seen the provisional layout plan and we are not next to each other but I think we are blocks that are next to each other. In the meantime the next edition of a certain magazine published on June 8th will be a nice event for me. It might be out of order to mention the magazine name here but it is the one that Mr Nevard takes photos for. I’ve seen some of Chris’ photos of DW and was gobsmacked by them (in a good way).

Ah good news. I’ll definitely get a copy Chris.

Looking forward to Warley I must say, I’ve never been before either so that’s a real bonus. 👍

On 26/05/2023 at 10:07, Chris M said:

Thanks Maurice. Hero’s a photo you might like 

IMG_8697.jpeg.8c2b4b24b6e3c9e5e2de9111e76736d3.jpeg

Did you know that I hold you responsible for causing me to spend thousands of £s? Some years ago I had a nice little N gauge branch line with a small number of nice little branch line locos. Then you brought out this limited edition, and I bought one.

IMG_8500.jpeg.7fc324321579335a5af96ee50bf9ff03.jpeg

From then on it was all downhill. First I had to buy some coaches for it, then I bought another Western and before I knew it I was building a mainline layout which eventually led to me building Dawlish Warren and investing in the stock to run it. If it hadn’t been for your limited edition Western Enterprise none of this would have happened. So it’s all your fault. 😉

IMG_0193.jpeg.f5bac8c3f0849b94c268be8f993b8da0.jpeg

IMG_5988.jpeg.ba4309ef89a503a65733537579135849.jpeg

I think my attempt at humour may have failed on this comment so here is my straight comment.

Some years ago I was happy with my first N gauge layout which was a little branch line layout; I had just built it as a one off. I then saw Osborns models limited edition Western Enterprise at an exhibition and decided I just had to have it so I bought it on the spot (Osborns didn't have many left by then). This loco ignited a spark of inspiration in me and set me off on a new course. Since buying that loco I have had a great time building and exhibiting two N gauge mainline layouts and have steadily built up a good sized selection of WR stock to run on these layouts. I would like to thank Osborns Models for that limited edition loco and the inspiration it gave me. I have achieved a lot in modelling terms since then and non of it would have happened without their Western Enterprise.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Given your interest in all things Western I don’t suppose you are a member of the GW Study group? If you are, and are attending the members day on 15 July do come by the 3D printing demo and say hello, it would be great to put a face to the layout!

Regards

Duncan

Going by the comments on the topic I recently started about loco changes on trains I think this working and loco are fine for 1968. The Cornwall to Etruria clayliner.

IMG_2429.jpeg.c219a6fd91ea9cf15e36046ad8cc4f33.jpeg

All other inter-regional workings will have hydraulics in charge .

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

This month has been good.

Dawlish Warren made the front cover of Model Rail magazine. That's the first time for me so I am feeling quite pleased.

019dd0be9c26e189c62fc8c05912fd73ffb125e2c0.jpg.61848f8735f9bc215f0e1a10071a4570.jpg

I've managed to succesfully give the previously mentioned class 46 a coat of blue paint but she still needs glazing and the yellow ends finishing. I'm feeling confident enough to have ordered some transfers from Railtec to finish it off.

I've also started something I said I wouldn't do - a Motorail train. When the NGS carflats were announced I was tempted to buy some but decided that it would be too expensive to get the flats and the cars. Anyway there weren't many N gauge cars available. There are of course no Motorail carflats left now but the NGS still has quite a few Railease carflats in bright yellow. I bought five of these, removed the signage and repainted them blue. I then weathered them. Quite a transformation in a couple of days.

018c9e27a4a1c1eb9db59bde443e54f51c08b464e3_00001.jpg.371e40a6e77b02dc59631b956176afeb.jpg

01e1438da6b4c7a24a11ef99e5611c4bdeb94b8f20.jpg.01f9425e4303df86b8c1855772e55321.jpg

01484b12667279a33fb3aebd7d76706d2f3e3b5280.jpg.10124831a96af249f357ae8e7b664645.jpg

I have ordered some Motorail transfers from Railtec and have also ordered a number of cars from different sources. Some are 3D printed and some aren't. I will ask for Oxford Diecast cars for my birthday which will be very soon. So hopefully I'm not too far away from having 5 passable Motorail carflats. Yes there should be more than that but my hidden storage siding length is an issue. Initially I shall have a train of 6 coaches plus 5 carflats. I might get a couple of extra carflats and then go 5 Mk1s plus 7 carflats which will make for a better balanced train but I will have to see how the cars work out first. I'm trying to avoid cars that came along after 1968 as that is the year my stock is set in. There were quite a few Motorail trains through Dawlish Warren during the summer of 1968 going from Kensington, Sutton Coldfield, Edinburgh and Newton-le-Willows to Newton Abbot and St Austell. The return workings especially were during the daytime. Motorail trains were limited to 75mph and D8xx were limited to 300 tons on the Newton-le-Willows trains and 500 tons on the Sutton Coldfield trains. A lot of the Motorails were Fridays only but the Edinburgh train was Mondays and Wednesdays only.

I'll finish with a photo showing gratuitous use of D8xx locos in four different liveries.

0151ed8f67dbc8d514f1e21f289fc46006d0248ac8.jpg.fe3ec4175b4e93e3a9135c7e92a4cd59.jpg

• Like 9

The Motorail train is as complete as it will be for the time being, although a few more cars are on their way. 

IMG_2750.JPG.9ce1439744c2ca3cc58bc0f9d42fce05.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG.eb7dd5717cb4eeb229dff3b35b80aa82.JPG

This train has even been seen in other places  (and in a slightly different time zone).

IMG_2745.JPG.f973708e651c0360971866fbae8ce686.JPG

• Like 7

if you are a member of the GW Study group? If you are, and are attending the members day on 15 July do come by the 3D printing demo and say hello, it would be great to put a face to the layout!

I will be there with a diorama display of GWR TT 120 items that we produce.

Sorry about it not being 'N' this time

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have now populated the Motorail train with cars. This might sound simple but obtaining a good variety of 1960s cars in N gauge took a lot of searching. All being well they should be trundling round the layout at the Swindon Stem museum next month.

While I'm on videos here is my tribute to hydraulics. It includes clips from Dawlish Warren and my previous layout.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Chris M said:

I have now populated the Motorail train with cars. This might sound simple but obtaining a good variety of 1960s cars in N gauge took a lot of searching. All being well they should be trundling round the layout at the Swindon Stem museum next month.

While I'm on videos here is my tribute to hydraulics. It includes clips from Dawlish Warren and my previous layout.

Quite an expensive job getting hold of all those cars as well Chris. It looks really good though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I will be running my 1963 stock at the Swindon Steam Museum show next month. That will mean Westerns in maroon, desert sand and golden ochre.

it also gives me a chance to run my brake van railtour train. The brake van railtour was a thing back in the 60s but it was to visit freight only lines. I guess this one could be travelling from what was by then the freight only branch from Exeter to the by then freight only branch from Newton Abbot.

IMG_3169.jpeg.220aa6e5f4b0b88378ac5d00fb215b65.jpeg

IMG_3170.jpeg.d29ace750153d4ab229c7a006c0c9914.jpeg

IMG_3171.jpeg.11fbed17cd2bca796f89d5f51298374c.jpeg

IMG_3173.jpeg.5191130bf4ffa67d309be6a286c019a0.jpeg

• Like 9

The Moretonhampstead branch closed to passengers in 1959 but remained open for freight until 1964 so I guess that’s where the brake van railtour is headed. By 1963 Newton Abbot had only one steam loco but the Exeter shads had a few more including a few ex GWR small locos. So that explains why the tour started at Exeter and ran along the sea wall. I would love to ride along the sea wall in a brake van!

I’ve also found that there was at least one special along the Moretonhampstead branch but that used coaches rather than brake vans.

While a brake van special along the sea wall is taking a bit of a liberty with faithful modelling it certainly would have been possible. And of course it adds a bit of interest at an exhibition. If anyone should question it I can quote the above.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/05/2023 at 12:05, Chris M said:

a number of people asked me where the banana fritter stand was. Despite a lot of research and requests on Facebook I still have not found a photo of the banana fritter stand. Looking back at the little white hut in the photo I could see it had some gas bottles attached so it therefore sold something that was cooked in some way. I also knew the banana fritter stand was somewhere in that area.

I reckon you've got it close. I remember it as a white hut, on the left of the road into the Warren, just before going under the railway bridge. At weekends or school holiays, we would cycle over from Dawlish. I only remember the one time when I used my pocket money to buy a banana fritter there. Maybe it was a special treat.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2023 at 13:06, Chris M said:

The Moretonhampstead branch closed to passengers in 1959 but remained open for freight until 1964 so I guess that’s where the brake van railtour is headed. By 1963 Newton Abbot had only one steam loco but the Exeter shads had a few more including a few ex GWR small locos. So that explains why the tour started at Exeter and ran along the sea wall. I would love to ride along the sea wall in a brake van!

I’ve also found that there was at least one special along the Moretonhampstead branch but that used coaches rather than brake vans.

While a brake van special along the sea wall is taking a bit of a liberty with faithful modelling it certainly would have been possible. And of course it adds a bit of interest at an exhibition. If anyone should question it I can quote the above.

It’s a really unusual and original thing to model Chris. I really like it. 👍

• Like 1