Haymarket shed from 1945 to 1963

Hello all, if you check my profile you might note the mention of a shed, this shed was intended to house my layout. However for the last 7 or so years it has housed the layout but along with everything else that was already inside, its 'the old story' that one piece of DIY that every year you promised yourself, your family, your friends, the cats that this year you'd finally do it, well thats the way its been and getting on for seven years I was beginning to think that the dream of finally having a working layout would remain a dream. "And then" suddenly just when all hope seemed lost, the age old prophecy was (semi) for filled and I found myself with ft by ft to work with. Then what location to model?

It had to be mostly eastern and north o' the border, I at first thought Perth, too Midland, then York, too big, Doncaster, didn't now it well enough and too far south, and then the dam burst. I came up with this idea to model a completely fictitious representation of what would have happened had the railways not been nationalized. Finally total lunacy struke and I came up with an idea to model the entire East Coast Main Line, to scale!!! But then I had to go back to planet earth to let the cat out, and finally it hit me, Haymarket, perfect, eastern, north o' the border and somewere that I was familiar with.

so I need to find reference material to Haymarket shed as it was during the 1950s, any help would be much appreciated.

February 2008 edition of 'Steam Days' has an 8-page article titled 'Edinburgh (Haymarket) Shed in the 1950s' - sound relevant? There's a description of the shed layout, but no diagram. It gives details of allocation and workings. The pictures are mostly of individual locos, but there are a couple of general views and you can see details of the buildings in the background of others.

February 2008 edition of 'Steam Days' has an 8-page article titled 'Edinburgh (Haymarket) Shed in the 1950s' - sound relevant? There's a description of the shed layout, but no diagram. It gives details of allocation and workings. The pictures are mostly of individual locos, but there are a couple of general views and you can see details of the buildings in the background of others.

thanks for the help

Guest Max Stafford

Also, lots of good photos and anecdotes in Harry Knox's 'Steam Days at Haymarket'

Irwell Press, ISBN 9 781903 266779.

Dave.

Archived