Reverse Loop

Thats pretty much the standard solution when the dogbone is single track. I looked at whether it could be done in that location  using two reversers but running into the terminus from the outer track involves crossing a short section of the inner track thus creating the short section problem we are trying to avoid.

To avoid restrictions that someone operating has to remember you need the 4 reversing sections as above.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed so far - I’ll fire up Anyrail this evening and have a play around.

To my mind, elongating the single approach line to be able to contain a trains length seems to be the neatest solution with the fewest compromises here.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

Thats pretty much the standard solution when the dogbone is single track. I looked at whether it could be done in that location  using two reversers but running into the terminus from the outer track involves crossing a short section of the inner track thus creating the short section problem we are trying to avoid.

To avoid restrictions that someone operating has to remember you need the 4 reversing sections as above.

My suggestion is just one auto-reverser covering the area shown, i.e. both inner and outer circuit tracks and the facing crossover. So no short sections to cross and the only restriction is the one I mentioned.

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Jackfrost83 said:

Thanks to everyone that has contributed so far - I’ll fire up Anyrail this evening and have a play around.

To my mind, elongating the single approach line to be able to contain a trains length seems to be the neatest solution with the fewest compromises here.

or moving the junction for the double track from the terminus alongside the lower track more to the left, an autoreverser would be needed in each of those two tracks.

The whole station, single line connection and dogbone would be wired up together an not part of the autoreverser sections

Harlequin, what happens if trains enter the double reversing section from opposite directions at roughly the same time, with the clockwise running train then crossing over to the station access track before the other one has cleared the section? There are a few scenarios like this I think.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Harlequin, what happens if trains enter the double reversing section from opposite directions at roughly the same time, with the clockwise running train then crossing over to the station access track before the other one has cleared the section? There are a few scenarios like this I think.

I guess I should have phrased the restriction more generally like this: You can't have one train in the AR section on one circuit while one on the other circuit is crossing into or out of the terminus.

In reality, most of the scenarios that could cause that state are unlikely because they would involve changing the crossover points very quickly just before or after a train has passed. The only scenario I can think of that is really likely is the one I mentioned, where a train is running on the outer circuit while something emerges from the terminus onto the inner circuit. (I suppose the inverse setting back operation would also be a realistic possibility.)

• Like 1