If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

Class 03 oo gauge

Feoffee2

Take a look at the Bachmann Spares website - blue 03160 complete with cast frame/buffers for £25 looks like a steal. Depends what you want to do with it though - the extra detail on this version might get in the way compared to the Mainline model, perhaps that's why you'd prefer the latter?

Quite a few Mainline models about, but most of those on their original chassis won't be runners by now, which should keep prices low (but £25 low?) Like the Warship a very good model for its time, let down by its mechanism - mine purchased in April 1983 had the middle axle fall apart before I got to use it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Halvarras said:

Take a look at the Bachmann Spares website - blue 03160 complete with cast frame/buffers for £25 looks like a steal. Depends what you want to do with it though - the extra detail on this version might get in the way compared to the Mainline model, perhaps that's why you'd prefer the latter?

Quite a few Mainline models about, but most of those on their original chassis won't be runners by now, which should keep prices low (but £25 low?) Like the Warship a very good model for its time, let down by its mechanism - mine purchased in April 1983 had the middle axle fall apart before I got to use it.

Thanks. Do you know if the Bachmann bodies fit the mainline chassis and vice Versa. 
Cheers 

OK, just checked - my older model is a Mainline body on an early Bachmann split-chassis (after the original failed) but this later chassis was designed to fit the Mainline body without tooling changes to the latter, so should have very similar overall dimensions to the old chassis.

The main part of the earlier chassis fits neatly between the inner bonnet sides of the new body, but the fit at both ends doesn't really work, especially the cab end where there are irreconcilable differences. The body securing screws on the new body are 80mm apart but 86mm on the old chassis where they are right behind the bufferbeams.

Most things can be made to fit with enough brute force and ignorance (😬) but since the Mainline bodyshell is a decent model your first choice is the right one - find a Mainline body, or an original Bachmann equivalent (31-350 - 3) if the price is right, as you can be sure it'll fit with a minimum of fuss. Another consideration is that a Mainline non-runner should provide you with a source of spare parts for your own chassis too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

OK, just checked - my older model is a Mainline body on an early Bachmann split-chassis (after the original failed) but this later chassis was designed to fit the Mainline body without tooling changes to the latter, so should have very similar overall dimensions to the old chassis.

The main part of the earlier chassis fits neatly between the inner bonnet sides of the new body, but the fit at both ends doesn't really work, especially the cab end where there are irreconcilable differences. The body securing screws on the new body are 80mm apart but 86mm on the old chassis where they are right behind the bufferbeams.

Most things can be made to fit with enough brute force and ignorance (😬) but since the Mainline bodyshell is a decent model your first choice is the right one - find a Mainline body, or an original Bachmann equivalent (31-350 - 3) if the price is right, as you can be sure it'll fit with a minimum of fuss. Another consideration is that a Mainline non-runner should provide you with a source of spare parts for your own chassis too.

Brilliant, thanks 

• RMweb Gold
On 09/05/2023 at 12:28, Feoffee2 said:

Thanks. Do you know if the Bachmann bodies fit the mainline chassis and vice Versa. 
Cheers 

Bear in mind that the latter 6 pin Bachmann 03s are different to the earlier ones ( infinitely better runners ) and those bodies relating to the later next 18 DCC jobs are different again. The rear screw mounts are different depths. 

Rob.

• Like 1