Information re: Standard 4 Class Tank Workings in Scotland (mid-60s)

BRCardigan

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone has any information or photographs of Standard 4 Class tanks working in Scotland in the 60s. Did they do branch line work? Would they have ever hauled inspection saloons? Milk runs? I've come across plenty of pictures of the locomotives from the time, but mostly in England and mostly by themselves or doing pilot work.

• RMweb Gold

I've certainly seen photos of one on the Killin Branch, looking a little underemployed with a single Thompson non-gangwayed brake 3rd.  The only one I ever saw in action in Scotland, though, was at Ardrossan in 1962, making light of a 12-coach suburban train out of Largs; very different from Killin!

British Railways Illustrated Vol. 6 No. 10, July 1997, pages 448 to 461 “From Galloway to Grampian - The BR 2-6-4Ts in Scotland”.

Their service on the Killin branch was a very, very (very!) small part of their work in Scotland! 76 out of the whole class of 155 spent at least some time in Scotland. They were employed most on Glasgow suburban services from Polmadie and Corkerhill sheds, mixed in with LMS-designed 2-6-4Ts. In April 1960, Polmadie had 21 of them, and Corkerhill had 19.

A Standard 2-6-4T appears to have been the last Scottish-based steam loco in regular mainline service - 80116 finished work as pilot at the carriage sidings at Gushetfaulds (serving Central) on the evening of April 29, 1967.

I have some pictures of members of the class on the Scottish Region in this album (organized by engine number):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/albums/72157630165052272/

P.S. Doing a search of captions on the Railscot website will get you about 50 pictures of the class in the Scottish region.

P.P.S. There are pictures on Railscot of the class working as bankers at Queen Street and Beattock, not all of which are retrieved by that search.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1

Thank you very much, Jim! I had seen that a long time ago, but it was really nostalgic to see it all again. As you say, not the highest quality (especially the sound effects and commentary), but the rarity of the video more than makes up for it. 

Incidentally, I think the train engine on the excursion at Langbank may be a St Rollox Caprotti 5 - very rare on the Gourock line. In fact, I think I may have seen as many Patricroft Caprottis at Gourock (ex-works) as St Rollox ones.

Again, thank you for that blast from the past!

• Like 1