009 couplings

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

I am restarting 009 after an absence of many years as a feeder to my 00 layout.

What are the current best couplings to use?

I am tempted by the Greenwich CPL1 but would like to know about alternatives.

Thanks 

Ian

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ikcdab said:

I am restarting 009 after an absence of many years as a feeder to my 00 layout.

What are the current best couplings to use?

I am tempted by the Greenwich CPL1 but would like to know about alternatives.

Thanks 

Ian

Ah, one of the eternal questions (in any scale / gauge)!  

I just had a quick look at your Standard Gauge Layout thread to see if there are any photos of the couplings you use for SG stock, as my first thought is that opting for a coupling type that looks OK alongside your OO stock may become a big factor in your choice - but is not something everyone else necessarily has to consider.  What do you use?

I found loads of photos of beautiful FS track laying (making the best of the space in the shed), but didn’t spot any of rolling stock (the one photo I saw has trains behind a Signal Box), so the usual comments when discussing couplings and quality of track laying etc. aren’t relevant, although the other major factor - whether you’ll be featuring shunting much or not, may still influence some choices.

Sorry I can’t be more practical - just some thoughts.  Hope that’s OK, Keith.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Ah, one of the eternal questions (in any scale / gauge)!  

I just had a quick look at your Standard Gauge Layout thread to see if there are any photos of the couplings you use for SG stock, as my first thought is that opting for a coupling type that looks OK alongside your OO stock may become a big factor in your choice - but is not something everyone else necessarily has to consider.  What do you use?

I found loads of photos of beautiful FS track laying (making the best of the space in the shed), but didn’t spot any of rolling stock (the one photo I saw has trains behind a Signal Box), so the usual comments when discussing couplings and quality of track laying etc. aren’t relevant, although the other major factor - whether you’ll be featuring shunting much or not, may still influence some choices.

Sorry I can’t be more practical - just some thoughts.  Hope that’s OK, Keith.

Hi Keith, thanks for the feedback. I need to update my thread again!

For passenger stock, I use rigid couplings such as the roco or Hornby close couplings or (increasingly) the hunt magnetic couplings.  These both give nice close couplings with no loose movement.

For goods stock I stick with the small hook and bar couplings as that gives me the loser movement of goods stock.

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Hi Andy thanks.  They do look good, quite pricey though.....

Ian

Yes they are a bit expensive but I only use them on the coach / wagon next to the loco. I tend to keep my coaches / wagons permanently coupled together with the Peco short couplings. With a magnet under the track I can uncouple very easily. I have tried the Greenwich couplings but find them very tricky to assemble. 
Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet 😀😀

On 21/05/2023 at 16:45, Andy 17 said:

I've used the chopper couplings from Tramfabriek and have found them to be very good. 

http://tramfabriek.co.uk/couplings.html

Hope that helps.

Andy

I like the look of the Tramfabriek chopper couplings but most of my locos don't have NEM sockets (and those that do can vary in height). Have you tried fitting these couplings to any plain buffer beams such as Minitrains/Roco/Liliput, etc?

7 minutes ago, happyChappy said:

I like the look of the Tramfabriek chopper couplings but most of my locos don't have NEM sockets (and those that do can vary in height). Have you tried fitting these couplings to any plain buffer beams such as Minitrains/Roco/Liliput, etc?

No I haven't, most of my stock is Peco or Bachmann. I do have some Minitrains wagons but they are only used permanently coupled to a Minitrains loco.

• 3 weeks later...

I note that you say you increasingly use Hunt couplings for 00. They now produce 009 couplings which might be worth trying. These have the advantage of also coupling to the \Peco/Bemo style couplings.