RMweb

Peak Rail

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Found a nice caravan and motorhome site for the weekend at Rowsley. We spent yesterday walking and today visited Peak Rail for the first time since August 2019. We have spent many happy times there in the past. 

Pete Waterman’s GWR Prairie was billed as running today earlier this week, but instead there was a change of plan and the Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns 0-4-0 Saddle Tank was on duty instead. Not seen this engine before so not disappointed.

Since we last visited a few things have changed. Lights fitted down the station yard and what I suspect will be a water tower is being built at the end of the platform?

The narrow gauge railway has really come on. For donkeys years this was a very short length of track. This has now expanded to run around the picnic area and the former side vehicle entrance now closed off. The old bandstand has now gone.

I cannot recall if the signal box was there on our last visit? 

Lots of goods wagons etc still in the yard awaiting restoration. A good photo display of how Rowsley used to look in now housed in a former LMS carriage.

Cheers, Ade.

IMG_8864.jpeg

IMG_8865.jpeg

IMG_8867.jpeg

IMG_8868.jpeg

IMG_8869.jpeg

IMG_8870.jpeg

IMG_8871.jpeg

IMG_8872.jpeg

IMG_8874.jpeg

IMG_8875.jpeg

IMG_8876.jpeg

IMG_8877.jpeg

IMG_8878.jpeg

IMG_8879.jpeg

IMG_8880.jpeg

IMG_8881.jpeg

IMG_8885.jpeg

IMG_8886.jpeg

IMG_8887.jpeg

IMG_8888.jpeg

IMG_8889.jpeg

IMG_8891.jpeg

IMG_8890.jpeg

IMG_8892.jpeg

IMG_8893.jpeg

IMG_8894.jpeg

IMG_8895.jpeg

IMG_8896.jpeg

IMG_8897.jpeg

IMG_8898.jpeg

IMG_8900.jpeg

IMG_8899.jpeg

IMG_8901.jpeg

IMG_8902.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Heritage Shunters Trust at Rowsley is highly commended if you like smaller diesels 01-08 but their June gala has been postponed as it clashed with Peak Rail event. RS8 the yellow loco on the turntable is a Pete Briddon rebuild of formerly derelict ICI former quarry loco, derelict at Wirksworth, once a Peckett steam loco & preserved at Dinting after withdrawal.

Dava

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info on the RS8.

My great uncle was caretaker at Dinting and sometimes, at the end of the day, he would shunt the exhibits back to bed with me also in the cab.

I never liked the RS8 then (totally none prototypical to a young me) but I am pleased to see it now.

Great days.

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I was a teenage volunteer at Dinting and didn’t like RS8 either but the restoration from a derelict hulk at National Stone Centre is a great project, it could easily have been scrapped as a no-hoper.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dava said:

Heritage Shunters Trust at Rowsley is highly commended if you like smaller diesels 01-08 but their June gala has been postponed as it clashed with Peak Rail event. RS8 the yellow loco on the turntable is a Pete Briddon rebuild of formerly derelict ICI former quarry loco, derelict at Wirksworth, once a Peckett steam loco & preserved at Dinting after withdrawal.

Dava

I remember walking past RS8 many times when it was an apparently derelict hulk by the High Peak trail. It's been restored to really high standard, in what seems like a short space of time. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We were up at Peak Rail again today as it was the Vintage Bus Rally. It was very busy. My friend Stuart liked the Newcastle bus as he hails from South Shields.

Since we were there three weeks ago the concrete base for the new water tower is now in place. Also a new refurbished toilet block is now in place in the station yard.

I have taken a couple more photos to show the new narrow gauge line.

Motive power was again No15.

Cheers, Ade.

IMG_0024.jpeg

IMG_0023.jpeg

IMG_0022.jpeg

IMG_0021.jpeg

IMG_0020.jpeg

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0018.jpeg

IMG_0016.jpeg

IMG_0015.jpeg

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0013.jpeg

IMG_0011.jpeg

IMG_0010.jpeg

IMG_0009.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg

IMG_0007.jpeg

IMG_0006.jpeg

IMG_0004.jpeg

IMG_0003.jpeg

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0001.jpeg

IMG_9998.jpeg

IMG_9999.jpeg

IMG_9997.jpeg

IMG_9996.jpeg

IMG_9995.jpeg

IMG_9994.jpeg

IMG_9993.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that tender tank in a video from one of the model manufacturers recently. Possibly in the Accurascale Siphon G video?

Edited by MrTea
Not that video - that was shot at Quainton I think
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1