Network Rail UTC Train

Just want to check that the information I have to hand is right but anyone familiar with the UTU train confirm if the formation below is what Network Rail would have used in 2006ish?

However looking on Google and Flickr, it appears that the UTU formation is basically Loco + UTU + Generator Vehicle + Brake Force Runner + Brake Force Runner + Loco/DBSO, would this be about right?

Or was the UTU a completely different set up back than?

• RMweb Premium

I think 2006 is a few years before the DBSOs started being used by Network Rail. (As an aside Network Rail call them Remote Train Operating Vehicles). At that time one of the UTU sets was still formed up with the Class 101 power cars as seen here:

This photo shows a right mix of liveries, NR yellow, Serco red/grey and Railtrack blue/green, top and tailed by DRS 37s, roughly the formation you've outlined above. 

DSC_4953

By the end of the decade (2009/10) though it had changed and a fairly fixed formation for the UTU was Class 31, Mk 2E/F, UTU coach, RTOV with generator. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/05/2023 at 19:21, aictosphotos said:

Just want to check that the information I have to hand is right but anyone familiar with the UTU train confirm if the formation below is what Network Rail would have used in 2006ish?

However looking on Google and Flickr, it appears that the UTU formation is basically Loco + UTU + Generator Vehicle + Brake Force Runner + Brake Force Runner + Loco/DBSO, would this be about right?

Or was the UTU a completely different set up back than?

Search flickr.com with the likes of 999602, 999606, 62482 and add a year.

e.g. 62482 2006

Also look up some of the 31s used with a year to narrow the search

Pretty sure the RTOVs (DBSO) only started being used in 2008.

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/05/2023 at 16:22, nightstar.train said:

I think 2006 is a few years before the DBSOs started being used by Network Rail. (As an aside Network Rail call them Remote Train Operating Vehicles). At that time one of the UTU sets was still formed up with the Class 101 power cars as seen here:

901001 (977391/977392) can be made using the etched sides that Hurst Models produced.

(A set turned up on ebay a few weeks ago).